X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

My Cabrio is in the garage in disgrace.
    Sue's Cabrio is in the garage a hero.

Of course its the same car, just viewed differently..........................

Since I completed my Cabrio - and that means getting it painted - there has been a monumental shift in attitudes in the Garner household.
    For Sue, who had lost interest and given up on ever seeing it "Finished", there is now a real car in which to go places. Suddenly its fun: it has character: and she loves it!

For me, I see it as nearing the end of a long, but thoroughly enjoyable project, and if I'm honest, sad that its coming to an end.
    And driving it?
    Lets say it has been a little disappointing.

Its the best car I could build - I was not capable of doing any better: I've poured my heart and soul into it.
    But it has rattles.
    It is draughty, and noisey when the hood is up.
    It leaks water into the passenger footwell when it rains
    ......... and the ride does not remotely compare to a modern day tin top.

But, all of that I can forgive.

What is not acceptable however, and in my book is a cardinal sin, is unreliability.

Mechanical objects are designed to work, and if they don't they are failing to meet their purpose. I can not abide things that do not work.

My Cabrio let me down 3 times yesterday.

Firstly, I got in it to back it out of the garage, and the gear selector failed - the gear stick shot over to the left with no resistance.
    "That's it! We're not going to Sheldon in the Cabrio!" were my honest and unexpurgated words to Sue.

Failure Number 1: Undriveable with no gears.

But my pride wasn't going to let it beat me that easily.
    I fetched the farm forklift, raised my Cabrio up onto it stands - its the next best thing to a four post car lift - and had a look underneath. My spirits rose!

The gear selector rod that I had cut, sleaved, and welded to shorten, had failed. I had ground down the weld too much in my desire to leave a neat looking job, leaving it too thin, and it had cracked. No gear selection.
    But, this was going to be an easy fix! I could get at the circlips without removing the exhaust and prop shaft, as I feared, and remove it easily.

30 minutes later, re-welded (and left rough!) we had gears again.
    So, Sheldon in the Cabrio was back on again, albeit late.

We drove 95 miles over to Sheldon with no problems, and although we'd missed having lunch with the others, we were able to share a couple of hours with them, meeting some old, and some new faces. It was a very enjoyable afternoon, and we were made very welcome.

Last man standing: My Cabrio parked alone outside the Cock and Pullet in Sheldon

IMG_0510.JPG

Failure Number 2.

There was a reason it was all alone........... its not that I can out drink the rest ............. it was because my Cabrio would not start and we were waiting for the AA to come to our assistance!

The AA were brilliant.
    They arrived within 20 minutes, and between us, Stuart (we were on first name terms as soon as he complemented me on my fantastic car, and asked how much it was worth!) and I had it back on the road within 10 minutes. Using some clever sophisticated electrical test equipment he established there was no power to the fuel pump.
    The solution was far less sophisticated - a quick hammer blow to the fuel relay pump! According to Stuart it was sticking. We were on our way.

I drove 15 miles to Slaley (near Matlock) and spent a couple of very pleasant hours with Sue's family.

At 7.00pm it was time to leave - I was quietly confident thatif I had the same problem, I knew the solution - a big hammer!

Failure Number 3.

It would not start again.
    Big hammer liberally applied - it still would not start.

It took me an hour of head in the footwell (feet up in the air) looking up at the mass of wires trying to work out why I had no power to the fuel pump.

Eventually I determined that the relay the AA man had told me to thump, was in fact the intermittent wiper relay! I could thrash it all day and it would not make any difference to the fuel pump!
    But after an hour, somehow, I disturbed something, and managed to start it again.
    Now the big question was, at 8.00pm, and 85 miles from home, should we try to get home?

After a short discussion we decided to go for it.

It was not a relaxed drive home..... constantly fearing it might cut out again, but each mile got us closer to home, and slightly more confident we would make it.

Two hours later, we had arrived home - without further mishap. But I was emotionally exhausted.

My Cabrio was parked in disgrace - it had let me down 3 times in one day.

Sue's Cabrio on the otherhand received a loving pat on its rear, and a "Well done" for getting us home!

I guess it comes down to that glass being "Half Full, or Half Empty".
    Last edited by Mike; 29-08-16, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Don't panic Mike. It's called a shakedown period. All mechanical creations need one! Yes the hood is a bit noisy but only draughty if you compare it with a modern hermetically sealed tin top. I only put mine up if it's torrential rain at which times keeping dry is luxury enough.

When I bought my factory built Hunter (3rd user - I often wonderd why it was sold!) I thought it would be great to have a great looking car with all new mechanical bits and just drive it, with a trip to Marlin once a year for a service and MOT. The plan was to use it for continental touring. After all, 20 years ago if anything failed I would only have to drop in to the nearest Ford (or Land Rover) dealer and all could be resolved! Or so I convinced myself. Sounds good if you say it fast enough.

In reality I could fill a book with details of the numerous problems and hiccups that I have had with it. But would I change it for a modern MX5 type of thing? Absolutely not!

In my early motoring days I grew up with cars that rattled and shook and needed constant attention, often at the roadside. OK the technology was far simpler in those days but getting it there and back was a challlenge to win! That same idea has got us to Monte Carlo and back plus several other trips up the Alps in a 60 year old Sunbeam Talbot! Interestingly it is the modern upgrades (electronic ignition etc) that have been the bits that caused the problems!

Keep chipping away at the little niggles and I am sure you will come to love what is after all a really stunning looking car.

P.S I used to scream unprintable things at mine whenever it let me down, but now I find words of encouragement work better. The moral listen to Sue!

Happy Marlining!
      Peter.

Comment

Ah, the joy of shakedown tests. It will get more reliable – honest!
        Paul

Comment

Don't get despondent, just remember she has, and will keep, you forever young.

If not for the foibles you would be lost for something to do tomorrow.

Happy marlining

Adrian
          Last edited by listerjp2; 29-08-16, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I had only had my Hunter a couple of weeks before the fuel pump failed due to no fuel filter before it! New pump and filter fitted all sorted on to the next problem, one day they will be all sorted and Marly and me will be best friends

Comment

Originally posted by peterboat View Post
              ............ one day they will be all sorted and Marly and me will be best friends

I like that......... one day we will be best friends......... just not at the moment!

Comment

Shakedowns are always fun. With the rally car I lost a bottom pully and had a cam pully come loose! Once you've ironed out all of the niggles it'll be great :-)
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

FWIW my Hunter stopped dead one day soon after I bought it, AA towed home, he said it was the crank sensor. New crank sensor fitted, still no go.
                  David Spolton came round with his box of bits and test kit, turns out it was the relay which controlled fuel and ignition.
                  £2 for new relay, sorted !

Good to see you both - and the car !
                  Rgds DC

Comment

Trick is lots of short local trips as often as you can - you get the faults quicker and your never to far from home - build up the distances - took me a year before I got confident to do over 50 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
                      Trick is lots of short local trips as often as you can - you get the faults quicker and your never to far from home - build up the distances - took me a year before I got confident to do over 50 miles.

Maybe I have been naive, or stupid, or just lucky, but we went on a 400 mile round trip straight out the box and did not have a real problem - wet feet don't count!.

..............then we had 3 DNS problems in one day.

So, yes, I think you are right - stay closer to home until I build up my faith in it again!

Comment

Don't worry Mike. First time my wife had a ride in mine, a rear shocker dismantled itself internally resulting in what felt like rear wheel steering. We made it back home and as I pulled onto the drive there was smoke curling out of the bonnet louvres, turned out to be a condenser had fried itself. My wife thinks she's a curse on the car and won't come anywhere with me. Regards David.

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
                          Don't worry Mike. First time my wife had a ride in mine, a rear shocker dismantled itself internally resulting in what felt like rear wheel steering. We made it back home and as I pulled onto the drive there was smoke curling out of the bonnet louvres, turned out to be a condenser had fried itself. My wife thinks she's a curse on the car and won't come anywhere with me. Regards David.
                          Thanks David

That made me chuckle

Sue seems much happier with my Cabrio (despite its problems) than I am, so perhaps I should count myself lucky.

Comment

I don't care that it's not the best car in the world, and yes it has got it's faults, but the members who have become lifelong friends make all the trials and tribulations more than worth it!
                            Stay with it Mike !
                            Regards Alan

Comment

I flew down to Newquay bought my Hunter from somewhere past truro then drove back to Yorkshire it rained very nearly all the way!! In Birmingham there was 4 inches of water on the road, it never missed a beat and the screen stayed clear all the way.

Comment

sort of same here bought my berly off danny, 2or 3 days later drove it from nth worcs down to portsmouth, no probs, caught the st malo overnight ferry to be awoke the following morning to the fact we were docking in cherbourg not st m due to adverse weather in the channel. this meant another 100 miles on my return home total of 250, set off with trepidation, but an uneventful journey followed, berly didn't miss a beat, about 400-450 milesin total, well pleased - short journeys subsequently caused probs, ignition switch playing up, so with a purpose made hotwire life was made easy. the switch has now been replaced, and now i'm a happy bunny!
                                THIS WINTER'S WORK, NEW DASHBOARD, NEW HEATERDISTRIBUTION BOX ETC - lifes never simple!
                                Last edited by Tony Stott; 30-08-16, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X