Cortina Mk 3-5 subframe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cortina Mk 3-5 subframe.

I am trying to find a solid, bare Cortina Mk 3 -5 subframe. I know these are very rare but I though I would ask.
    Rusty is OK but bent or perforated, no thanks.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

I have one in the garage I've been keeping as a spare "just in case " message me and I'll check at the weekend to its structural integrity but from memory it was good as I took it off my belinetta when i replaced it with my spare I just had powder coated

Comment

Many thanks. Mine is perforated on the LH structure behind the suspension mounts. I can cope wth corrosion but would worry about a perforation. At the moment I'm looking at shot blasting and then welding up whatever appears not ideal. Looking forward to your inspection. Thanks.

Comment

I have managed to find a Mk4 in reasonable condition so work starts soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_Rescueman View Post
          I have managed to find a Mk4 in reasonable condition so work starts soon
          Will it be ready Dane in time for the meet at Trago Mills Newton Abbot on 24th March?

Comment

Hi Pete, I am working on the replacement subframe and cutting off all the unnecessary bits. A local firm will then bead blast it. If the frame is sound and doesn't need any welding then they will epoxy it and use chassis black to finish off. My MoT man said that the rot on my present subframe was structurally OK but would be an MoT fail if not sorted for next time. The car is safe to drive for the time being. It was an advisory only.
            The propshaft rear UJ was a fail. I have sent off the the propshaft to Derek at Proptech. I couldn't do the job myself as the rear UJ is swaged in; not on circlips. Derek will replace the rear of the propshaft with a new flange. Both UJs will be changed for circlip type, and yippee, with grease nipples. This is still away in Kidderminster. If the shaft gets here by Saturday night I will be at the meet. Its all down to how quickly I can get the shaft back otherwise without it, I would have to lift the floorboard and Flintstone the car
            Derek says that Marlin used him between 2005 and 2019 to make shafts for the BMW cars. I don't know if your Hunter has one of his shafts?
            I'll put a quick thread in <Cars> and let others know if they don't already.
            I hope that I do get the car going in time.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_Rescueman View Post
              Hi Pete, I am working on the replacement subframe and cutting off all the unnecessary bits. A local firm will then bead blast it. If the frame is sound and doesn't need any welding then they will epoxy it and use chassis black to finish off. My MoT man said that the rot on my present subframe was structurally OK but would be an MoT fail if not sorted for next time. The car is safe to drive for the time being. It was an advisory only.
              The propshaft rear UJ was a fail. I have sent off the the propshaft to Derek at Proptech. I couldn't do the job myself as the rear UJ is swaged in; not on circlips. Derek will replace the rear of the propshaft with a new flange. Both UJs will be changed for circlip type, and yippee, with grease nipples. This is still away in Kidderminster. If the shaft gets here by Saturday night I will be at the meet. Its all down to how quickly I can get the shaft back otherwise without it, I would have to lift the floorboard and Flintstone the car
              Derek says that Marlin used him between 2005 and 2019 to make shafts for the BMW cars. I don't know if your Hunter has one of his shafts?
              I'll put a quick thread in <Cars> and let others know if they don't already.
              I hope that I do get the car going in time.
              Cheers
              Hi Dane. Hope you can get the Berli sorted in time for Sunday. If the rear flange is replaced it will need re-balancing but I guess Derek will know that. My Hunter is ‘98 so before his time I guess. I think mine are staked but it’s a while since I looked that far underneath! Peter.

Comment

Working...
              X