Hood fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hood fitting

I stuck my Velcro to the powder coated side frame with evostik after priming the surface with the same black body primer used for bonding the windscreen. In the 6 years on the road the Velcro hasn't budged. Rivets aren't necessary but you do need to wrap the Velcro around the frame. The more surface area stuck the better the result.
    Peter

Comment

The only time I have ever used the centre bar was when parked at a Show in heavy rain. This helped to stop any puddling on the hood. The bar fits well along the inside top of the back tail.

Comment

I replaced the hoodframe velcro and glued with Wicks Impact Adhesive onto 3 sides of the frames "L" shaped Cross-Section
        then also riveted the velcro to the frame (3 per section) and added 4 pop-fasteners (2 per section) and 1.5yrs later it's still on there.
        Took about 2 Hrs to do it all (on a very nice day) and well worth it...

Velcro alone won't last - the glue on my Cabrio pulled the paint off!!!

The car (and the hood) was about 5 years old when I did that, so I guess any hood stretching / shrinkage had happened by then - it never ocurred to me at the time that that might be a problem.
        pop-fasteners alone don't for very long either.

Comment

Mark at Marlin said to me that the primary use for the removable bar is to stop rainwater pooling in the middle of the hood when the car is parked.

If you don't do this then about half a gallon of water goes down the windscreen when you first put the brakes on! The removable bar can be stowed flat on the small horizontal ledge behind the seats, with the "legs" facing forward. In this position it fits snugly between the side trim panels and doesn't float about. Peter.

Comment

Working...
          X