Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor pickup from low revs

Follow-up to my last note on this subject:-

The cold weather didn't offer much encouragement to going to a tune-up shop (being put off also by the likely big bill!). However, SOD's LAW took a hand, to my benefit for a change. I noticed that carbon monoxide fumes were getting into the interior, and I was especially aware of this after a 15-20 mile run. Also, the exhaust noise was different, a sort of fluffy noise.

I suspected that a pipe had sprung a leak, hopefully not the CAT, and booked the car into my local village garage (a very helpful lot they are). They found that a flange joint at the front of the exhaust system was blowing out the gas. They couldn't find any supplier who could supply a gasket, and concluded that the joint was metal-metal, needing a special super-goo (CAT-friendly) to seal tiny gaps. To get the whole thing sorted meant taking off the heat shield around the exhaust manifold + the manifold itself, so that got some attention as well. Total time charged was 2 hours, plus a few quid for the goo, cost just over £100 + VAT.

Bottom line: the exhaust noise is now a nicer burbly sound, and no fumes get inside the car. The big bonus is that the engine now performs much 'sweeter', picking up well from low revs, with improved acceleration. So for a change, I didn't mind the bill I paid!

Cheers
    Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Do you have a Lambda Sensor fitted? I had similar symptoms with my 1.8 Zetec except ir behaved itself when cold. I remembered the Lamdba sensor has little or no input when cold, the problem disappeared when I disconnected it.

Good luck

Comment

Hi Roger
        You got me puzzled with the Lambda Sensor, as I did not realise what this was all about until I checked it on Google.

Yes, sure enough my exhaust is fitted with one, and what you say makes a lot of sense. With the exhaust leak, my engine was not too unhappy at low revs when cold. However, once it was hot, low revs in a high gear caused acertain amount of jerking and lack of power. Keeping the revs above 2000rpm camouflaged this problem. Now the leak is fixed, low revs produces a smoother response, and makes for a nicer drive.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X