Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why can't I add an Avatar

Hi Steve,
    I have changed (easily) my profile picture but cannot find the 'use custom avatar' button. It is not visible in the 'edit avatar' page. What is its route?
    I am using Firefox but wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. I still have the avatar which mysteriously showed itself!
    Just me being 'nerdish' over something quite simple - I have similar problems sometimes on my own website. As Robert says 'put it down to gargoyles' ...

Brian
    Brian

Learning more about:
    June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
    1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
    And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Odd indeed, a passing phase.
      There have been a few odd changes made to default settings, apparently inadvertantly, when software upgrades have been made. But since the initial bugs were ironed out I have not had a problem with avatar changes.
      Perhaps Cameron has an explanation, but identifying a transient problem is difficult.

Comment

Hi Brian. I see in your profile you have the little skittles pic as your avatar and a pic of your car as your profile pic. What is it you want to do and I will go through it step by step to ensure there arent any problems with the system.
        If you ignore the use current avatar radio button and upload a new one it should overwrite anything there alread. Is that what you want?

Comment

Hi,
          It is a 'bug' within Firefox that does not allow me to update my avatar, and more!!
          I have just flicked over to Internet Explorer and the 'Edit Avatar' page has many extras, which of course includes an update from a file on disc.
          I also notice that I also now have 'Signature' option in the left hand menu.
          What else will I find?
          (The 3 main web browsers (IE, FF, Chrome) all render pages in a different way with one tiny, unfathomable piece of code causing havoc and often unbeknown by the majority of users!)

Brian
          Brian

Learning more about:

Comment

It would seem our posts overlapped. Canmeron.
            Within seconds on IE I did what I wanted, but a quick look would seem to give far more left menu options in IE - strange!
            I'll try Chrome when I have a moment.

Brian
            Brian

Learning more about:

Comment

Spare a thought for me, I'm using a Mac with Safari (and will continue to do so, the benefits outweigh the snags). I wish software writers and website creators would all switch to HTML5 then things might improve. At least the websites could be optimised for one language, rather than one browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittler View Post
                It would seem our posts overlapped. Canmeron.
                Within seconds on IE I did what I wanted, but a quick look would seem to give far more left menu options in IE - strange!
                I'll try Chrome when I have a moment.

Brian
                Hi Brian

I've had exactly the same experience.

I used to enter the MOC site from Firefox, but could not find many of the facilities others had mentioned. I now come in through Google Chrome, and have lots more options, so this would appear to be a general Firefox issue.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                  Odd indeed, a passing phase.
                  There have been a few odd changes made to default settings, apparently inadvertantly, when software upgrades have been made. But since the initial bugs were ironed out I have not had a problem with avatar changes.
                  Perhaps Cameron has an explanation, but identifying a transient problem is difficult.
                  Steve
                  Try entering the site through Firefox - I suspect you may then see the issues Brian and I have had - they are not transient.

Comment

Ahh Robert, the Techie debate.
                    Isnt this problem embedded in the Adobe Flash discussion. Wth the decline of Flash on mobile devices, and the limited support that Adobe seem to be offering for Flash, it is inevitable that HTML5 will win as Steve Jobs of Apple argued.
                    Should a device or software be backwards compatible? The refusal of Apple to adopt Flash on their iPhones and iPads etc seems to be a decisive move with their domination of the mobile internet market.

Cross posted with Mike.
                    Once upon a time Apple were in the minority in a IBM compatible world. Now they dominate the Mobile Internet world. MIcrosoft are on the back foot.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 13-12-12, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Android outsold iOS devices nearly three to one this year and there is a flash plugin for android (though not supported for much longer I beleive) however
                      I suspect the issues in FF are largely due to script blocking by FF but I will look into it and see what i can come up with! Any help gratefully received

Comment

Hi
                        It's all working in FF now.
                        It seems as if 'booting' IE changed a 'flag' somewhere! That shouldn't be though!!
                        Thanks if you did something at source end.
                        Brian

Learning more about:

Comment

Working...
                        X