Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID plate

Hi folks
    Some years ago I bought from the club stand at Stoneleigh an ID Plate on which I engraved Model,Chassis No,Engine No etc which looked very smart in the engine bay of my last Roadster.
    No sign of them in club goods now so presumably no longer availiable?
    Anyone have one they are wishing to part with?
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

Hi Bryan I will try and find out the orginal supplier to the club if you give me a few days, I want one too.

If anyone else is interested in one please let me know on here

Regards
    Lee

Comment

Hi Bryan,

I'm in the process of getting a VIN plate milled and engraved from an outfit called Schaffer AG (they're German, but cover all of europe)

Sie designen, wir fertigen: Hochwertige individuelle Frontplatten, Gehäuse und Frästeile. CNC-Fertigung, Gravur, UV-Druck. Kostenlose Design-Software!

You design whatever you like in their free CAD like program, send the file to them and once you've paid it arrives in the post a couple of days later.

Each plate i've designed is going to cost about 40-50 euros, but I don't think it's that expensive for bespoke engraving and drilling work for very low volumes (1 of each). I've designed the VIN plate and a switch plate for my centre console:

I've ordered these (after checking they're going to fit by printing them out at life size and trying them on the car).

I'll post pics when they arrive, but if you fancy changing the vin plate to your own details, I've attached a blank version of it. Just click on the text you wish to change and follow the instructions.

Cheers,

Jason
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work, Jason, they'll look really smart on your car!

Comment

Hi Lee thanks for the help,I payed about £25 from the club but it ws several years ago and the club probably purchased quite a few!

Jason, they look very good quality so it may be a route I will take depending what Lee finds out!
          I could not open your link to the blank!!

Regards
          Bryan
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Bryan - To open the blank file, you need to download the free software from the Schaffer site - see the link in my previous posting.

Comment

Re: ID plate

Hi all as a club we are looking into getting a batch made, and I or John will update soon but put your name down if you want one.
              Regards
              Lee

Comment

I am interested...but dont even have a chassis number yet!

Comment

Look what the UPS man brought today:

They're very nice. I could probably have got away with a thinner aluminium plate for the VIN, as both items are 3mm thick - but they're nice and solid. The inking is accurate and within all the engraving, stands out really well against the black anodised finish of the plates.

Well chuffed with how they've turned out.

Comment

Lee, put me down for one, as the MOT'er can never find the original chassis plate at MOT time,thanks, Keith.

Comment

Lee, I will have one also.

Comment

Hi Lee
                        Add me to the list please
                        Regards
                        Bryan
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Lee

What type of price are we looking at?

Adrian

Comment

They look even better on the car!

Comment

Following several recent enquiries I advise that the indicative price of the plates as previously sold through Club Goods channels would now be £40 each. (Information from the manufacturer shows that supplies were last purchased almost 10 years ago at £20 each).
                              These quality plates should not be confused with inferior printed items! They are made from individually acid etched nickel-silver “blanks” – for longevity the wording is recessed into the surface of the plate which hence has a discernible “texture” to the touch as opposed to the smooth surface of cheaper items where the wording is simply screen printed onto the face of plain flat aluminium blanks. A quick internet browse indicated that they should satisfy the regulations when stamped with a legible series of 17 characters (both digits and capital letters and not just a string of zeros with a “1” at the end) but it is strictly up to the purchaser to ensure they are fit for purpose – particularly if preparing for the IVA test - as interpretation of the rules would appear to vary between regions.

As the plates are manufactured individually there are no bulk purchase discounts available and their high value conflicts with the normal Club Goods operation. However, as a service I propose holding two on stock to sell to members at cost plus p+p as a trial to help members avoid the manufacturer's long delivery delay. (7 months at present!). To initiate this system I would welcome some indication from those of you who are interested in purchasing a plate so I can order sufficient to cover present demand at the same time as obtaining the two I will hold as stock for future sales.
                              Kindly forward £10 deposit with your order by Monday 13th February (Shindig weekend) (cheques payable to “The Marlin Owner’s Club” or via direct bank transfer: request details via email please). I regret that at present I am unable to give you the final price until I have a plate to pack up and weigh – I reckon that insured postage will also be a prudent move. (Note that should you choose not to proceed with the order your deposit money will be retained until the plate reserved for you has been sold elsewhere).
                              John Mulvaney

(Apologies, but as a confirmed technophobe I have struggled for too long to include the image of the plate for this time of night, will have to try harder when more awake!)

Comment

Working...
                              X