Cosworth cabrio latest update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cosworth cabrio latest update

I decided that the ARB was too stiff on the Cabrio been a 28MM Cosworth, so finally got a 24mm off a broken Sierra. Upon fitting I found, out that it was a different shape and was fouling the Alternator bracket. Putting them together it is clear the different shape. 24MM one is the one on top.
    Attached Files

Comment

I know that you can get other shape ARB's but decided to go for a set on Compression struts and Junk the ARB, They have been fitted today and the car is booked in on Saturday morning to get set up. Caster, Camber and Tracking will all be done,
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lee

Did you find the length of your new adjustable compression struts were OK. I know Simon Gregory went down this route, and found his struts were something like 20mm too long? He only found out when he tried to set up his castor, and just could not get it where he wanted.
        And just looking at your last/first photo above- have you sleeved your steering rack arms with polished stainless tube?

Comment

Hi Mike I roughly set it up and found a simlair problem so did take 10mm off on the day prepared to take more off the length. The rack ends are a cheat in most good DIY shops they sell chrome plastic over piping cut to go over 15mm copper pipe just used some of that. Stole the idea off Bob Jackson.
          Looking forward to Saturday going to take lots of pictures of the set up.

Comment

Have you considered something like this:

Whoops, our bad...The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why.

Available in many sizes and colours inc. clear, but not chrome!

Paint some grease on the component and shrink the sleeve over it, last forever?

Also recommended by VOSA for the IVA!

Comment

Hi Lee

Do I take it you cut down the gold anodised adjustable coupling to shorten the strut?

John

Comment

[QUOTE=cabrioman;22075]Hi Lee

Do I take it you cut down the gold anodised adjustable coupling to shorten the strut?

John[/
                Hi John I just took 10mm off the threaded rod, as Plenty long enough.
                But it did get me thinking if these are direct replacements for a arb on a sierra surly these should fit on a cabrio chassis as a direct replacement without been altered. Or are the mounting points in the wrong place ??

Comment

So the thread was bottoming out in the coupling then? , I assumed there wouldn't be enough thread on the strut bar to allow it to be shortened by much.

I just bought a pair of Rally Design struts off ebay for mine, which were used from a guys modded Sierra, when they arrived they were all still locked up in what I assume was the position on his car, there was not much adjustment left to shorten them any further, may be 10 to 15 mm at best so maybe they are always a bit on the long side.

Comment

Originally posted by cabrioman View Post
                    So the thread was bottoming out in the coupling then? , I assumed there wouldn't be enough thread on the strut bar to allow it to be shortened by much.

I just bought a pair of Rally Design struts off ebay for mine, which were used from a guys modded Sierra, when they arrived they were all still locked up in what I assume was the position on his car, there was not much adjustment left to shorten them any further, may be 10 to 15 mm at best so maybe they are always a bit on the long side.
                    Hi John do you mean Track control arms or struts ?? Yes the thread was bottoming out on the coupling thats why they needed cut,
                    Have you got them fitted yet ? will be interested in your findings................

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                      I know that you can get other shape ARB's but decided to go for a set on Compression struts and Junk the ARB, They have been fitted today and the car is booked in on Saturday morning to get set up. Caster, Camber and Tracking will all be done,
                      Hi Lee,
                      are your adjustable TCA and compression struts from Burton Power or another supplier?

thanks, Peter

Comment

Hi Peter they are from a company called compbrake apparently they make them for burtons and others
                        A good piece of kit.
                        Are you thinking about a set ?
                        Regards
                        Lee

Comment

Hi Lee

I haven't fitted them yet as the mount brackets needed a bit of fettling, but should be ok. I needed to use them as I am putting an M20 into the car and the ARB interferes with the sump unless you start cutting the bulkhead.

I was of course meaning the struts in my last post. Not sure yet if the Rally design struts are the same as the Compbrake in terms of length, might have to resort to the hacksaw as you have. I'll be interested to see if they make the ride harsh, I wondered about the possibility of using a rubber shim on either side of the cone to isolate the cone from the TCA but I will try it steel to steel first.

Must admit the adjustable TCA look tempting, much less buggering about than using shims on the top arm.

BE interested to hear your thoughts once you have had it all set up.

John

Comment

Today I had the Cabrio suspension set up professionally, a very enjoyable time, Settings are Caster + 4 degrees, Camber negative -1 and toe in 2m also very pleased with the rear set up from previous work shimming the hubs.................

Having done around 40 miles the car is lovelly to drive , positive, self centers and goes around corners like its on rails.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
                              Hi Peter they are from a company called compbrake apparently they make them for burtons and others
                              A good piece of kit.
                              Are you thinking about a set ?
                              Regards
                              Lee
                              Thanks, Lee, useful company and their parts look good, albeit still a little expensive.

I am considering this as an option, but not for my Sportster. (I have another little non-Marlin project on the go :-))

I'm still not sure how the compression struts are fitted? Does the compression strut installation fit where the ARB brackets were?
                              And your feedback on the ride quality. ......
                              Does it now feel much softer and smooth at the front without the ARB?

cheers, Peter
                              Last edited by Peterx; 16-09-12, 10:14 AM. Reason: changed

Comment

Hi Peter yes you remove the arb and the compression strut fixes on in the same location both on the chassis and also on the tca, as for the ride and handling ( purely for test purposes officer) I took it out today and drove it like I stole it and it simply is faultless over rough roads smooth, hard cornering flat, heavy braking the nose hardly dips . Very happy with all of the conversion including the electric power steering Pleased I did it but a tally up it's about £600 all in so not cheap.
                                Last edited by CosworthCabrioLee; 16-09-12, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X