Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Progress to date

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
    OK Steve, is mine what you would regard as a Marina servo?

The mounting studs are about 90mm centres vertical/horizontal and the master cylinder studs are about 59mm Centres, horizontal. it's a Lockheed servo.

The original servo is a Girling with the master cylinder studs vertically aligned at about 70mm centres but both my original servo and master cylinder are both stuffed.

If it isn't Marina, can you take an educated guess what it might be please?
    Hi Robert

If your master cylinder is "stuffed" why not consider the Metro servo further? You have options to fit the Metro M/C - but it only has two outputs. It could be fitted at an angle, and then use a remote reservoir, as many Marlins do. I guess the main factor is the diameter of the M/C bore?

Alternatively you can fit a variety of other M/Cs. The one in Peter's photo shows an adaptor plate with a BMW M/C, and just as common are Ford Sierra or Cortina M/Cs. The Sierra's have three outputs to allow separate front brakes. The adaptor plate is easy to make. As highlighted before in this thread, the Metro servo is open faced, so you do have to ensure a good seal between the M/C and the servo mating face, but that's easy enough using two standard Metro O rings.
    Mike

Comment

LOL we think alike Mike!

My current m/c isn't 'stuffed' but I kitted it and I am not 100% happy with it, the only way I could bleed it was by pressurising the reservoir and forcing the brake fluid through the system.

It's my original Girling servo and m/c which are well and truly 'stuffed' The Lockheed ones which are fitted are not 100% but are working after a fashion. I am confident they will go through the MOT with no issue.

I am thinking that to fit a Metro servo and adapt the master cylinder from anything even if it needed a remote reservoir might be the best option, at least I would know what I had!!! It seems the Girling servo parts are easier to source than their Lockheed counterparts.

Is the Metro servo mounting the same, 4 studs in a square at 90mm centres? I am firmly of the opinion that my Marlin would be OK without a servo because my pedal levers have not been chopped down, so I still have full leverage.

Stand by for a new PM Peter!

Comment

Thanks Adrian, my guess is you (and many others, as pointed out by Steve since the Girling setup seems to have been standard) have the Girling setup. Which my Marlin had originally, but was beyond redemption.

Comment

LOL we think alike Mike!

My current m/c isn't 'stuffed' but I kitted it and I am not 100% happy with it, the only way I could bleed it was by pressurising the reservoir and forcing the brake fluid through the system.

It's my original Girling servo and m/c which are well and truly 'stuffed' The Lockheed ones which are fitted are not 100% but are working after a fashion. I am confident they will go through the MOT with no issue.

I am thinking that to fit a Metro servo and adapt the master cylinder from anything even if it needed a remote reservoir might be the best option, at least I would know what I had!!! It seems the Girling servo parts are easier to source than their Lockheed counterparts.

Is the Metro servo mounting the same, 4 studs in a square at 90mm centres? I am firmly of the opinion that my Marlin would be OK without a servo because my pedal levers have not been chopped down, so I still have full leverage.

Stand by for a new PM Peter!
          Yes, the metro servo has 4 studs in a 90mm square and I've replied to your latest PM!

Comment

Peter
            Do you still have the adaptor to go with the Metro servo?
            If so, Robert could maybe use it to fit a wide variety of master cylinders?
            Mike

Comment

That could be very handy, no point in re-inventing the wheel!

PM replied to Peter.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Peter
              Do you still have the adaptor to go with the Metro servo?
              If so, Robert could maybe use it to fit a wide variety of master cylinders?
              Mike

Comment

Yes, I'll include the adaptor.
                You can have the old BMW master cylinder as well if you like. Again, it was new on my Sportster when first built.
                But it'll have 10mm metric pipe connections so you may need to change your pipe fittings which i'm guessing would be imperial.Also, I don't have a spare brake fluid reservoir.
                Perhaps it's better to stick to your existing M/C?
                I'll try to send you some pictures tomorow....
                ....peter
                That could be very handy, no point in re-inventing the wheel!

PM replied to Peter.

Comment

Oooo! a BMW master cylinder!!! will that make it go faster??? <wink> LOL

If it's OK with you then that could be very welcome. I take it that will have dual line brakes? The remote reservoir isn't a problem I can get one easily from MLFBY.

OK, I just got the PM:

Quote: "Hi Robert,
                  the servo pushrod is not adjustable but you just make up a little spacer to go inside the M/c to compensate for the thickness of the adaptor."

Thanks for the info Peter, Look forward to the pix.

I take it the best way would be to split the lines diagonally, rather than front-back?

Comment

Oooo! a BMW master cylinder!!! will that make it go faster??? <wink> LOL

If it's OK with you then that could be very welcome. I take it that will have dual line brakes? The remote reservoir isn't a problem I can get one easily from MLFBY.

OK, I just got the PM:

Quote: "Hi Robert,
                    the servo pushrod is not adjustable but you just make up a little spacer to go inside the M/c to compensate for the thickness of the adaptor."

Thanks for the info Peter, Look forward to the pix.

I take it the best way would be to split the lines diagonally, rather than front-back?

The spacer is a well know design amongst the BMW based Sportster builders....

Brake master cylinder spacer by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Brake servo spacer by marlinpeter, on Flickr

It's a dual piston M/c with the rear piston supplying a single outlet to the rear brakes and the front piston has dual outlets to the front brakes.

Comment

One task left on my list. I painted the doors this evening, Still to fabricate an external pillar mirror.

While out shopping this afternoon I spotted the latest - February edition of the 'Complete Kit Car' magazine, Page 41, "Marlin Roadster Lives Again" a brief account of my little adventure, recovered from the wood to almost complete.

What a year. I didn't go anywhere but I had a lot of fun, met new friends, and old, wonderful. Hopefully I will meet many more this year, I am planning to take the Marlin to Stoneleigh, it should be a bit more complete by then.

Comment

Well done on the article in CKC Robert! Are they going to do a follow up ?

Comment

That is the intention, once it's on the road and sorted.

Right now I am being diverted by welding my rusty Astra in less then perfect conditions and my little helpers seem to have hidden my favourite clamps... Grrr. They are back at school.

Comment

I have crossed the final task off the list this evening, I made a mounting for a drivers side mirror and mounted the mirror. It's really only temporary but I will see, it might turn out to be permanent. It's from a Vauxhall combi van. I fitted the mirror then the drivers door, I then discovered the door wouldn't open because the mirror was too low! Swift mod and all was well, I turned the bracket upside down.

I have booked the MOT for Friday BUT checking the forecast, heavy snow is expected. Since I have decided to trailer the car to the test, I have no wish to drive the A590 with a trailer in snow. So it may be Monday for the test. Will try to take some pix tomorrow.

# 8384
                            Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 16-01-13, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The mirror sounds intriguing! Good luck for Friday/Monday

Comment

Fingers crossed one thing you have never mentioned is a hooter !! Beep Beep.
                                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                                X