Progress to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Progress to date

I have a hooter Ben a new Bosch one I found in a box of goodies in my LFBY, thanks for mentioning it!

I did forget two things though and I only remembered when I was looking at the first of these two images... Can anybody spot the missing parts? I have made and fitted them now since I was looking at the pix earlier.

Marlin Finished 1.jpg

Marlin Finished 2.jpg

Comment

Well you will need wipers and washers when you fit the screen.

But something to fix the number plate to would be a good idea.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Nope!

Both true but not what I spotted...

Comment

I have cancelled the trailer. The road from here to the mainland is pretty treacherous at the best of times, add snow, high winds and ice, with a trailer and a small car... No.

Next week will do, I don't want to bend it before I start, there is no great rush now.

Comment

BTW, the missing parts were the covers for the suspension? I cut them out of some 1mm aluminium and bolted them on, I didn't want to use the original fibreglass domed ones.

Comment

Robert

Is it the inner wing covers and the front tie bar rods ?

Comment

A tow ring - for when you end up stuck trialing!

Comment

That's it Bob, They were on one list but not on the computer list. I realised when I was looking at the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    A tow ring - for when you end up stuck trialing!
                    Stuck??? LOL

Yes that will be part of phase two, plus a sump guard and a lot of other refinements, foot rail and grab rail for the passenger, recovery eyes, van back springs and roll over hoop, a tool box, spare wheel carrier, etc. I will need much advice from our trialling contingent once the car is registered.

I had intended to make to towing brackets at the front for 'A' frame towing, so I can tow the car behind my Astra but somehow I never completed that. I think I could drill the front bumper and push a long bar through for the 'A' frame to pivot on.

Comment

Hi Robert
                      I have a home made A frame which I used to tow my Roadster with,which was attached to eye bolts (in fact farm gate hangers from Mole Valley Farmers)fitted through the front bumper just either side of the nose cone which also doubled as recovery points for Trials.
                      You would be more than welcome to this Foc if of any use to you!
                      Only problem is logistics as I live in Somerset! And I suspect with your fabrication skills you could knock one up just as easy!!
                      Let me know if you are interested?
                      Regards
                      Bryan
                      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Sounds interesting Bryan, will PM you.

I have seen cars being 'A' frame towed behind camper vans on the Motorway, how practical is it? I have no experience of this. If the Marlin is under 750Kg (which I am expecting it to be...) it shouldn't need braking as a trailer I think. It has a parking brake of course. So it should simply be a matter of hitching it up and away.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                          I have been A framing Marlins for more years than I want to count. Yes 750 is the limit before braking is reqd. It is not an exact science with the different front end set ups on Marlins you might get a bit of scrubbing on tight bends at very slow take off speeds, but you will pull a roadster okay.

Comment

Thanks Danny, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. My Astra coped OK taking it to Carlisle on a big heavy trailer, about 100 miles, so I am sure it will be OK down the Motorway.

I will be weighing the car on it's way to the MOT for the brake test data so I will soon know the unladen weight. I am very interested to know what it is, since I have added and removed 'stuff' from the original spec of the car.

I am guessing overall Triumph suspension will be lighter than Marina suspension. My seats are heavier than standard, having built in seat belts, and the mountings are heavier too. We will see.
                            Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 18-01-13, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Robert
                              I have to say I never towed any huge distances and with this set up the steering obviously is left to its own devices but it did always follow o/k
                              I was never sure of the legality of it though!!
                              I also used the same set up on a Peugeot 205 which I used for PCT's for a while which I know was way too heavy to be unbraked but towed equally well albeit that was behind a Freelander so the weight diferential was was on the good side
                              Either way if you think you can use it and we can get it to you some how you are welcome to it
                              I'll look out for your PM
                              Cheers
                              Bryan
                              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Robert
                                PM sent I think
                                Let me know if it did not work please,I'll sort the pics over the w/e
                                Bryan
                                Stapley Bryan

Comment

Working...
                                X