Progress to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Progress to date

Thanks Andy, wasn't aware of Moss, will have a look. I think they are but I am not sure how late they used the 'A' series, I think they fitted the 1500 Triumph engine to the Midget before the they upgraded the Marina to the 'A+' with a screw on oil filter on the block, which is what I have.

I thought I was sorted, I got the gasket sets from UniPart locally, my main concern was that the timing chain cover gasket had 11 holes, I completely failed to spot that it was for a mini!!!

The head set is OK but UniPart seem to be struggling with the part numbers. I need an (OE #) AJM225 or (Payen #) EF9461 conversion set. Earl list it but with shipping it's dear, plus my postie always takes my
    parcels back to town, so I have to go get them myself anyway... That's another fiver of petrol, just to get the parcel.

Comment

How about Minisport ? Padiham , Lancs I believe.

Comment

I use Allparts down here in the south and they also do stuff online.

They haven't failed me yet.

Adrian

Comment

I would give them a bell before ordering online, they have always been helpful, even for Marina Stuff.

Comment

The other one that I can recommend is Speedy Spares, they have a wealth of product and are old school.

Try lookin at http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, UniPart came up with the goods in the end! But I will be bookmarking all these sources because this is a quick, basic build and if all goes well I will need 'stuff' over time and I am sure these suppliers will get me out of a hole one day. I expect, hope others may benefit from these suggestions too.

Unbeknown to either of us they sourced the gaskets from Malcolm at Lancaster Engines who bored the block for me and had kept saying he would get the gaskets but kept forgetting...

I collected them this afternoon, £20, half the price most of the other suppliers were asking; part number Payen EF465. Brand new, not NOS.

Engine build starts tomorrow... Hopefully finish Sunday.
              Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 12-10-12, 07:53 PM.

Comment

A little 'bling' of my own...

Engine - Crank in.jpg

Crank in, torqued up and valves in. Tomorrow is the big day, build the motor. Everything is ready I think, the crank turns nicely and feels good.

My son's having fun painting the clutch housing. Michael is now a dab hand at inserting the valve collets.

Michael Painting Bellhousing.jpg

Comment

Nice................

Comment

ok robert - how much did you pay them? extra for smiling I guess!!!

nice to see some youngsters actually having fun

Looking good btw!

Comment

Great to see youngsters involved in something other than an X Box and this craise will last them a lifetime.

Comment

I seem to be getting sillier, I typed my response to Cameron's post yesterday, several times I have typed responses to posts then forgotten to hit the post button. Doh, idiot!

It cost me a pound each, Christopher found two bits of metal I needed from my pile of 'stuff', and Michael did some painting. Michael also helped me fit the pistons, which was a bit fraught because the second compression ring was a two piece ring, the two pieces are very thin and they kept popping out from under the ring compressor, causing much difficulty to a normally fairly easy job.

They are both very keen and love to get 'hands on' with the car, this is another reason I wanted to get back into building cars, it's been a bit hard for them while I have been welding because I have to keep them at a distance and I can't really involve them in that side too much, also it get's very boring.

But now we are entering the assembly stage it's becoming much more interesting.

I am kicking myself today, the engine is almost complete. I need some 5/16" UNF bolts to bolt the clutch cover to the flywheel, a Water Pump pulley and a Timing Chain cover. I have been hunting all over; the new prices for the pulley and cover are about £80+ each. My friends have been turning their boxes out looking for a pulley for me with no success, I missed one on fleaBay, a guy who has a load of bit's just got rid of them, I was despairing.

This morning I decided to go down to my shed to get my SU carb box, while I was there I had a rummage round my boxes... I HAVE a Water Pump pulley! In fact I have two!!! A large one and a normal one. I have not a clue where they came from but there they are.

I also found a box of 5/16" UNF bolts, hopefully there will be six 3/4" long.

So that just leaves an 'A+' timing chain cover needed. (For now...) Does anybody here have one? Mine is so rusty it's a lace curtain lookalike. But I may have to patch it up at this rate, no way am I paying best part of £100 for a bit of tin.

Comment

are your lads available for hire? sounds cheap and put an ad on the classifieds for wanted it will be more prominent ont he forum then

Comment

Robert
                            Several on e bay at the moment, look under Rover Mini timing covers.

Comment

Robert
                              item 290796292010 is just one of many.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the delay in replying, my buddy Sid who races a Mini engined Berkley, came up with one in the end. I couldn't face the prices being asked. A local supplier was asking £55 + VAT, others were asking up to £88 for a bit of pressed tin!!!

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                                Robert
                                item 290796292010 is just one of many.
                                Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 11-11-12, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X