Progress to date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Progress to date

What a day! I pencilled a list and had it done by lunchtime, so I set about one of those awkward jobs I love (NOT), well I do when they are finished. I made the back bulkhead behind the seats. I had a senior moment and made it two inches too big, much cursing but it's better too big, at least I could cut it down.

I changed the gearbox oil from 20-50 to EP 80W-90 GL4, I am glad I did put what I regarded as a flushing oil in because when I drained the gearbox the oil was distinctly mucky and there was a build up of metallic goo around the magnet (no bits), so it must have flushed out some muck from the nooks and crannies. I think it will need changing again after the first thousand miles.

I put antifreeze in because it has been drained since I last ran it about two weeks ago, I have been a bit concerned if we have a real frost if there are some pockets of water in the radiator or the block it could do some damage. I don't want that at this stage of the game. I started the engine just to circulate the anti freeze.

I was just about finished when one of my neighbours came out, I thought, oh-oh, here comes a telling off for hammering on a Sunday... The bulkhead needed quite a bit of tin bashing. We had a little chat, he was just interested in what I was doing. He loves the paint job. I explained I was concerned about fitting the dashboard and it being exposed to the elements. He straight away offered me the use of his garage!!! It is only 10 yards away and has stood empty ever since I have been here, it has a bench, a large vice, a concrete floor and plenty of room, he doesn't have a car, so I will be in the lap of luxury next week when I move in. I think I will still work on the car outside when it's fine but it means I can work longer and be less worried about the weather spoiling things. Hopefully I will get the key soon.

I have some more good news but I better sit on it until it's finalised. ;-)

# 5834

Comment

Put the car into the garage when I had finished today, it is spending it's first night under cover!

Done lot's of little jobs today, working towards completion of the body now. I fitted the Marlin badge in the grill, wired up the horn and radiator fan, fitted the speedo and connected it up. Fitted the disks and n/s wheel bearing, fitted the hockey sticks ready for the front wings. Hopefully will fit the dashboard and start wiring it tomorrow. The VIN # plate is being engraved and will be ready for Friday. The same company will make me a proper stainless plate when I have all the details but I don't think I need that for the MOT test.

I was expecting to have to make two new doors but I think I can adapt the original ones, at least for now.

Will grab a snap of the car in it's new garage tomorrow.

Comment

wow moving fast. picces

Comment

A couple Steven, I took more but they were no good because of the camera shake, the lens has VR but the R means reduced... not eliminated!

Marlin New Garage 1.jpg

Marlin New Garage 2.jpg

I haven't completed my list today, the freezing fog was one reason, it was very cold but also the jobs seemed to take much longer today. Perhaps the longest job was mounting the steering column switchgear cowl and getting the choke to work from the cab. Because the bonnet wasn't on the car while it was in the wood, some of the carb mechanism had dissolved into rust power. I had bough two similar carbs for spares but they are the opposite hand so the levers are the wrong way round. I need to find a proper carb some day. However this one works, so it will do for now.

I plan to start wiring the dashboard and connect up some loose ends, I may start on the back lights next.
          Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 12-12-12, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Robert

Does the slower progress have anything to do with the fact that you are no longer outside so don't have to move to keep warm! Now you are doing what the rest of do - take a cup of tea into the garage and just look at what needs doing, and admiring your own handywork so far!

Comment

I did wonder Mike, but no, it's ten yards further away, so I have further to carry stuff, I did start in the garage but I couldn't see what I was doing so I wheeled it outside... Not easy with one almost flat tyre! Note to self: Pump tyre up!

I have a folding chair which I use to rest and weigh things up. My cups of tea a fewer now because in the cold weather I need natural breaks more often! Since you mention it, I just checked my little meter on the kettle socket, since the start of the school holidays in July I have boiled the kettle about 850 times, if I knock off say 150 for entertaining, washing up, and cooking I guess I have had about 700 cups of tea in that time. Which would tally with the number of tea bags I have bought, roughly.

I think it was because the task list was longer and included more and longer tasks. I have just checked my main task list, since early September when I stripped the Marlin I have completed 168 tasks on the list and a few more that aren't. There are still at least 35 to go. I am tending to complete about 5 tasks a day at the moment so I think I am on schedule to have it ready to MOT before Christmas. Provided I don't add too many more tasks!

My main concern about the garage is that now the dashboard and speedo are fitted and the seats will be soon, I don't want it stood out in the severe winter weather with no roof, hood or tonneau cover. Having been a construction worker all my life I am well used to working outside, indeed I prefer it in some ways, although obviously if it's persisting down and blowing a gale then that's different. I am planning to pipe some electric into the garage so I can connect up the lights and use the sockets but I need my really long lead for that which is at another location. Currently I am just working from a single extension plugged into the house.

I am hoping the garage will be available long term, because it transforms my options and opportunities...

Comment

Looking increasingly good, Robert, well done particularly on getting undercover - warmer hands certainly make for easier work!

Brian
                Brian

Learning more about:
                June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
                1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
                And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Well im really impressed. The quality of finish is going to be really good. I prefer working outside but its nice in the winter to be inside out of the snow and rain.

Comment

Hi Robert, firstly fantastic job mate a real credit to you and the "boys". What carb are you running? Cheers Chris.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Chris.

The carb is an inch and a half SU, semi downdraft? or semi sidedraft! lol The engine side flange has two bolts at 45º, the upper bolt to the front, I have two carbs similar but the upper bolt is to the rear, which means the entire 'handedness' of the carb is wrong, so I mixed and matched, using the original body but the piston and dashpot form one of the other carbs. The trouble was the original carb was so badly corroded I damaged the body getting the piston out, the dashpot was totally wrecked. and the choke mechanism doesn't match the jet holder, so for now it's working back to front. But at least it's working.

Carb 'As found'

Marlin Carb As Found.jpg

Comment

Steven and Brian, thank you, yes I am pretty pleased with it, I have taken a couple more pix today, used a tripod this time!!! I will post them after dinner.

Comment

Here we go, a tripod makes all the difference...

Martlin with front wings.jpg

Front wings loosely fitted. I seem to have a large hole where the Marina suspension cover should be, I need to make a patch panel for that, another task for the list!

I completed six significant tasks today, so keeping up. I also did some more clearing of the garage and it's forecourt.

Weighing up my options for an electric supply. Not sure I want to install a proper supply, rather a decent extension lead I can roll up and put away when I don't need it.

# 6260
                          Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 13-12-12, 07:50 PM.

Comment

It looks different on the front. Have you been cutting bits off?

Comment

Not many? Added a few... No lamps or number plate yet?

Just a reminder...

Marlin Front 214.jpg

Comment

CHECH YOUR EMAILS MATE....cHRIS

Comment

Working...
                                X