Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Hi John

Good news: there is a caveat in Section 12, Interior Fittings, which says the 2.5mm rule is enforced "except where a projection from a panel is less than 3.2mm, where it must be at least blunted"

My hinge is less than 3mm proud of the dash face, so it should be OK - (should be because "at least blunted" is now a subjective assessment).

Oh what fun!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 28-10-13, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      T minus 8
      It is still scary to think my car is still not finished with only one week to go!
      Mike - are Marlins ever finished???? I think there must come a time where you will have to say "that's enough" and just go for the test come what may - anyway - all the best.

Comment

I fell foul of the VIN Plate/Chassis number rules. The chassis number as fitted by Marlin was on a plate welded to the passenger side of the chassis. It failed because:
        1. It should be on the off-side.
        2. The number was split over 2 lines.

I stamped the chassis number directly on the bulkhead over the drivers foot well, and that was deemed acceptable.

The VIN plate is pop riveted on the bulkhead next to the stamped chassis number. It contained the bare minimum. 'Marlin Cabrio' and the chassis number. Everything else was blank.

When you get to the IVA I would suggest you photograph all the fail items where possible, as the report is written and may not precisely identify any failure points (particularly if it says 'nut covers on front suspension' or the like). At re-test I showed the tester the photos taken, and the remedial work, and it made the task much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
          ...................When you get to the IVA I would suggest you photograph all the fail items where possible, as the report is written and may not precisely identify any failure points (particularly if it says 'nut covers on front suspension' or the like). At re-test I showed the tester the photos taken, and the remedial work, and it made the task much easier.

Good advice Chris. Thanks for the suggestion.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            [COLOR=#000000]If anyone has been following my build and has seen anything they feel could be a problem at IVA I would really appreciate it if you would share it with me, please? -no offence will be taken, I promise!

[/B][/B]
            Hi Mike,

Not a problem but just a thought as you must be running out of things to do now............................................??! !

I put creep marks on all my suspension nuts and bolts. Nothing in the IVA manual about it but the IVA man seemed to like it and probably helps to put him in the right frame of mind.

Very best of luck for Monday. I hope it all goes well and you come away with a first time pass. You deserve it.

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by nigel View Post
              Hi Mike,

Very best of luck for Monday. I hope it all goes well and you come away with a first time pass. You deserve it.

Nigel
              ditto Mike - good luck

Comment

All the best for the big day Mike. I hope you get the chance beforehand to reflect on the quality of what you've achieved.

Comment

T minus 3

Had a couple of a set backs today.

Despite a lot of positive castor - maybe 8 degrees - I do not have any self centring. So I had a play around, and took my wheels off to assess the castor, and found the offside disc was marking on one side. The cause was rather embarassingly that I had fitted one of the pads inside out! Glad I found it today rather than at the test! At least that has stopped the horrible grating noise which I had assumed was due to slightly rusty disc brakes that needed polishing up with a little use.

It has convinced me I was right to choose to tow my car to its test rather than drive it there. Once I get it on the road fully registered I can then begin the process of actually setting it up to drive properly. I find it slightly ironic that we have to submit our cars for the IVA test before we are allowed to drive it, so how can we know it is properly drivable before submitting for the test?

After a bit more trial and error out on our "private lane" - the roads around our way are quiet (but very muddy due to the number of "muddy wheelers") I thought I'd better fill up with petrol, as I only had a few litres in the tank to test the engine. I decided it would give me the opportunity to calibrate the guage as I filled it.
                  Well that was the idea: except it didn't register above zero - even when full. I guessed that as the guage moved from rest to just above empty, it was working electrically, and therefore the problem was probably mechanical ie the float arm was probably stuck - and it was: far too stiff for the float to lift.

So, I've had to strip it out of the tank and try to free it up the best I can, there are no servicable parts, and I think I will end up having to buy another one - the problems of a long build process!

Whilst I had the sender out of the tank I have taken the opportunity to improve the C ring I made - only visually, (and it will never be seen again), but it always bugged me that it looked so agricultural before.

IMG_5296.jpg

The sender/guage should now read "Full" indicating I do have the pre-requisite full tank of fuel for the test.

Is my Cabrio ready for the test - not yet: in fact its looking a bit of a mess!!

* - Don't look Lee - *

IMG_5297.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5303.jpg
                  Last edited by Mike; 02-11-13, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Good luck Mike. Fingers crossed!!

Comment

Good luck for the big day Mike, looks like the last job to do involves a hose pipe.

Fingers crossed.

John

Comment

bon chance a mardi!

Comment

Mike,
                          Have just read your build diary end to end. Thanks for a good read. I shall be making a few modifications to my Sportster build based on your advice.
                          A couple of points that Millie failed her SVA on. Sorry to leave so late to mention them. I used the seats out of a BMW Z3 and like you I bolted the seat belts to the seat. It is the logical thing to do. But the inspectors wanted evidence that the seats were suitable. They suggested providing something like a Haynes manual showing the fixings. You might want to take one along just in case. I changed the belts to use the chassis mountings.
                          They also found the radius on the bumpers to be less than 2.5 mm. I think it was a bit harsh as bumpers are 5mm thick. I didn’t argue the point just put some rubber U section round them.
                          Good luck with the IVA.
                          Paul

Comment

T minus 2

Thank you to everyone for your good wishes - (for those of you thinking it is on Monday, you'll have to wait a day longer - my test is on Firework Day - Tuesday 5th, at 8.30am.

Yesterday was not a particularly good day, but I have now finished off my car in the cabin by fitting Cameron's Cosworth sterring wheel (it is 1" smaller in diameter than a standard Sierra steering wheel, and is IVA friendly, whereas my Momo wheel is not). Then I fitted the steering column cowl and the whole assembley to the chassis column mounts:

IMG_5307.jpg

The gash dash, preventing the radius test on my chrome bezels ( and thereby preventing a certain fail) is now much more securely fitted. But it still remains one of those "subject to interpretation" items depending on whether the examiner feels it is meant to be permanent. I feel that it blends aesthetically very well with my centre console, so will b very disappointed if they do try to fail it.

Today I have completed the two big IVA issues remaining:

The IVA maunal suggests that if the VIN is stamped on a separate plate, the plate must be fully seam welded to the chassis - it specificially states spot welds and even stitch welding is not likely to be sufficient. I had already removed the original Marlin chassis number from the nearside, and had attached it to the off side bulkhead with rivets, but a proper read of the manual revealed it had to be fully seam welded:

IMG_5309.jpg

I've deliberately left it un-painted to show the circumference is fully welded.

The other big job was to get my car steering to self centre.This is a real "Black Art".
                            I had done some research, and had assumed that with plenty of Caster it would self centre. No, not so!
                            I also read of an IVA where the car did not self centre from full lock, and so failed IVA - this morning, before making several trial and error adjustments I found mine actually turned INTO the lock, just the opposite of "self centring"!

I then remembered someone had been told to set up their steering with toe OUT, and this was what finally worked for me. My car has a limited degree of self centring from full lock on both sides now, so I'm hoping this will be enough: but it is a fingers crossed hope!

Whilst getting the chassis tag welded the guys in the workshop were amazed at how tight my engine is in the engine bay - I suppose I have become totally acustomed to it, but when you look at the photo I suppose it does look pretty tight:

IMG_5310.jpg

Tomorrow is my final day before the test - I am actually beginning to feel nervous: as my recently graduated son said, there is always still one more exam no matter what age you are!

After a last minute check of sharp edges, it will then be a case of pack my entire garage contents, including tools, electrical wiring, rubber profiles, nuts bolts, drill, and even trolley jack just in case the "Fail List" is rectifiable on the day.

............................the time is drawing nigh!!
                            Last edited by Mike; 04-11-13, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
                              Mike,
                              Have just read your build diary end to end. Thanks for a good read. I shall be making a few modifications to my Sportster build based on your advice.
                              Good luck with the IVA.
                              Paul
                              Hi Paul
                              How long did that take?????
                              Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by millie_marlin View Post
                              Mike,
                              A couple of points that Millie failed her SVA on. Sorry to leave so late to mention them. I used the seats out of a BMW Z3 and like you I bolted the seat belts to the seat. It is the logical thing to do. But the inspectors wanted evidence that the seats were suitable. They suggested providing something like a Haynes manual showing the fixings. You might want to take one along just in case. I changed the belts to use the chassis mountings.
                              They also found the radius on the bumpers to be less than 2.5 mm. I think it was a bit harsh as bumpers are 5mm thick. I didn’t argue the point just put some rubber U section round them.
                              Good luck with the IVA.
                              Paul
                              Seatbelt anchorage is one of my concerns. I am happy with using the Audi A4 seats, but the manual suggests additional spreader plates will be required under the floor to cope with the loads imposed. That is fine, and I have fitted 4 spreader plates to each seat. What concerns me is the manual is very badly written around this section, - it is impossible to tell what section you are reading, and it is not clear what size plates are required. I am confident mine are adequate, but they do not meet the requirements of the multi seated pedestal variety, where it does state 100 x 100mm.
                              I have taken photos of my Audi A4 seats, so hope this will be sufficient, but who knows.............

The bumpers are 5mm thick as you say, so I have not covered mine either. I'll take an angle grinder with me and use it until they are satisfied if I have to. It will be easy enough to re-polish afterwards.

Out of interest, are you Millie Marlin of the Black & Yellow Cabrio fame? If yes, do you have a Sportster too?
                              If not, then there are at least two Millie Marlins out there!

Thanks for your useful comments - I'll print my seat photos off tomorrow, before I go.

Mike
                              Last edited by Mike; 04-11-13, 12:09 AM.

Comment

All the best for the IVA Mike. That cockpit looks very smart! Peter.

Comment

Working...
                                X