X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Hi Mike

No problem on the photos.

I think given your tight clearances, removing that section would be a real bonus.

Agree on your comments re pictures being useful, must post some recent picture updates of my rebuild, its moved on a lot. Just starting to rewire it at the moment and then its onto soft trim and refixing body panels.

John

Comment

There are times in your life when you get turned over.................

As many of you will have noted I borrowed Cameron's Sierra steering wheel to get through IVA. Over time I have come to like it more than the Momo wheel I had chosen, so bought a "good condition" Sierra wheel via ebay.
      Whilst the rim is in good order, it turns out it is not complete - it is missing the horn ring assembley:

Its a simple plastic plate with two copper rings, with 3 lugs on the back which clip into the steel boss.

Does anyone have an old standard Sierra steering wheel gathering dust which has a working ring assembley still in it?

If you do, and you would like to see it go for good use, and earn a beer token or two, please let me know:

Mike Tel: 07968 835101
      Last edited by Mike; 07-12-13, 11:01 AM.

Comment

HI MIke - I have the standard big sierra wheel as well - will the bits off that work? If so you can have them free gratis

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
          HI MIke - I have the standard big sierra wheel as well - will the bits off that work? If so you can have them free gratis
          Hi Cameron

Many thanks for your generous offer - this is what the club is all about.

Having said that however, a combination of my impatience and the local Sierra breaker being open (he is a one man hermit operation living in a caravan with the local council trying to close him down on public health issues - you know the sort of place) having one he would let me have for £3, means I have now sourced one, and have my wheel fitted and working now.

On a general Sierra spares note, having had difficulty in finding Sierra's down at my local breakers yards these days I would urge you, and anyone with any Sierra parts to hang on to them. Parts are getting difficult to find and prices are definitely rising for Sierra spares on ebay - quite frightening what some peole think they can ask for!

But thanks once again for your kind offer - at least I know where there is a spare if mine fails!

Mike

Comment

What did I do today?

I drove my Cabrio 120 miles without a number plate or tax disc........................and all quite legally! It was great fun. Several police cars passed me by, and I kept hoping they would stop me .............but none did!

Why was it legal? - because I took my Cabrio back for its IVA re-test today, and chose to drive it there!

It was pretty cold when I set off:

IVA Day 011.jpg

But I was well wrapped up, and with the heater on all the way the only part to get cold was my right hand - the centre heating vent has already shown it was worth the effort.

After a 90 minute drive I arrived back here:

IVA Day 013.jpg

IVA Day 012.jpg

This time I was an hour early - so I parked up, took a few photos and had lunch.

IVA Day 014.jpg

IVA Day 017.jpg

The ground clearance is pretty good as Marlins go........but that sump does look vulnerable.

IVA Day 018.jpg

I had arranged to have my Cabrio re-tested again by Martin, this time at 1.30pm to ensure I was not late! So after his lunch he began his inspection. As per last time, he was thorough in checking off the fail items, and within two minutes (literally) he ticked off the brake pivot pin clip, the matched rear tyre profiles, and window and bumper sharp edges, and so moved on to the final item - the handbrake.

Up on the ramps to see what I had done, and that when operated nothing now fouled - all was OK, and the test had now lasted all of 5 minutes.

Although I had added two steel adjusters into my handbrake cable, I still knew the efficiency test was, unfortunately, not going to be a formality.....................

Yesterday I took my Cabrio to the local MOT station to have them test only the handbrake efficiency, to make sure all was well, and give me the confidence to drive my Cabrio 60 miles over to Nottingham (and spend £90) for its IVA re-test.

Unfortunately it was much closer than I had hoped..............

Based on the 1600kg Design Weight I had filled in on my IVA application form this test only showed 17% - enough for an MOT pass (>16%), but a fail against the 18% required by IVA. Oh dear, not again!
            Perhaps the pads were not bedded in and would be better after a 60 mile drive?

So, when I arrived at this part of the re-test I was genuinely nervous.
            Martin set it up in the brake test machine, and I could see the back end squat down each time he applied the hand brake.

IVA Day 020.jpg

The good point to note at this stage were the exhausts clearing the centre plates even when squatting under hard braking.

IVA Day 021.jpg

However, I could also see the scores on the screen were just the same as the previous day, and a fail was the likely outcome.................

except................................?

(just teasing!)

..........I had agreed with Martin prior to my test that I would "re-submit" my Cabrios Design Weight to a more realistic 1300kg, which meant the efficiency now rose to a creditable 21% and a clear pass!

So - after 8 years, I have now achieved an IVA PASS!!!!!!!!!

The ride home was much more relaxed than the nervous one there and (in places) quite a bit quicker too! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

IVA Day 023.jpg

Although I had just achieved an IVA pass there were bits dropping off my car as I drove home!

The bumper edge covers fell off, but they were never really needed as I had radiused the edges, but I was not taking any risks..............

IVA - Back Home 001.jpg

The gash dash fell off to leave a nice shiney one underneath!

IVA - Back Home 003.jpg

Although these are sold as asfter market alloy wheels, they will not pass the IVA - part of the rim has a radius of less than 2.5mm: so I had to remove it for the test, and cable tie it back on to get it home safely!

IVA - Back Home 006.jpg

..............and this is what its all done for.............

IVA PASS certificate
            IVA - Back Home 007.jpg
            Last edited by Mike; 10-12-13, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Brill, well done sir!!

Comment

You must be over the moon, well done chap. I have followed your build through its ups and down and have really enjoyed it. At some points it was like a thriller, with my heart in my mouth, you would have thought it was me who was building it. Believe me the only person who is glad its finished (other than yourself) is my wife, who has had to listen to my updates on your progress over many mealtimes. Congratulations. Adrian

Comment

Congratulations Mike. Whilst it may seem like the end of a long journey, it is in fact the beginning of a hopefully longer journey of enjoyment and further development. David

Comment

Well done Mike
                    Rgds DC

Comment

looks like the paint fell off too MIke! NO seriously well done!

Comment

Hi Mike
                        Well done!!

Just the colour then!
                        Any clues?

Regards

Bryan
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hearty congratulations Mike...enjoy..! It'll never be finished though...and that's part of the enduring attraction...
                          Cheers
                          Jez
                          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

So 2014 should be a quiet time in the Garner garage, apart from...

Paint
                            Power steering
                            Traction control
                            lsd
                            Launch control
                            Hardtop
                            Fully retracting windows
                            Matching camping trailer

Etc etc...

John

Comment

Hi John, and all others offering congratulations, thank you.

You seem to have picked up on a few of the jobs already planned!

They are - "Strictly in order" of course:

1 Apply for a registration number - DVLA say they will issue one within 2 working weeks - If all goes to plan it should come back with MAG 111D on the V5c- but lets see! - there is no big rush to be out driving in the next couple of months.

2 Re-fit my new alloys/tyres as the old Sierra tyres must each be over 9 years old (it took me 8 years to build my car!)

3 Remove some of the IVA edge protection, and sleeves from the Track Control Arms

4 Re- adjust the TCAs to set the camber back to near the required angles - one side has changed significantly after 100miles.

5 Fit my MGTF rear wind deflector behind the seat headrests (as per the excellent Peter Licence design/instructions)

6 Make up my hood frame, and then have a hood and cover made, and fit them (incorporating the wind deflector).

Then the post build jobs start, and there are already a few more than I had on the list prior to driving it!

1 Cure the rattle in the drivers door!! - I suspect it is the connecting bars from the door handle down to the lock - Danny suggested covering in a split foam/rubber tube: and the seat belt tower mounting which is designed to be flexible with a wavey spring washer, but is too soft, and allows it to rattle - hopefully rectified whilst installing the rear wind deflector.

2 Modify the exhaust - it sounds really nice, but on a long journey will be/is wearing

3 Make a new spare wheel bracket - the current one, made from old brake discs is good, but is so heavy its embarassing!

4 I need to get the engine rolling road tested for fuel efficiency as I estimate it only achieved 22-25mpg on my run to Nottingham - I had hoped for 30+ mpg on a steady run. It appeared to be running cold all the time, so the thermostat could require changing. Also I want to satisfy myself the MAF, and various engine sensors are all wired and working ok.

Then there are the "Improvement" projects lined up

1 Complete the glove box - (it is screwed up closed at the moment without a latch, as it would have failed IVA) but my reticence is that I have an idea to move the windscreen wiper to the drivers side to improve the space for the glove box, but this depnds on space after....

2 Fit Power steering? - Not sure about this. My car is drivable as it is, but it is noticably heavier than a modern power assisted car, though I hope it will improve when the suspension is all set up professionally at some time in the future when it has all settled down. If I do go down this route, and it is by no means certain, the motor space could prevent the windscreen motor being moved across - so we'll see on that one.

3 Bonnet alignment pegs - I have been very careful to ensure my panels fit well, but the bonnet latches I have fitted have a rubber pad which forces the bonnet out by a few mm. A combination of a thin spacer behind the lower fixing, and a couple of guide pegs will ensure the bonnet always locates into the correct position.

Then there are the pipe dream projects.........

1 Lower the side windows is one John has spotted in my previous posts - I'm sure it will be more difficult than it first appears, and could involve making a new interchangeable set of doors for the summer, with lower sides, and different glass arrangement? - (none?)

2 Convert the boot opening hinge from bottom to top, using a Saloon car boot hinge?
                              It could be thwarted by the spare wheel fouling the rear hood as it is raised, so may never make it into production? But I do like the idea, and would consider a skinny spare if it solved the conflict.
                              This is quite literally a fanciful notion at the moment, but one I will investigate before I have my Cabrio painted.

And on that bombshell, what colour am I going to choose???????????
                              And when do I get it painted???????
                              I would love to have it complete for Stoneleigh 2014, but feel this might be rushing the shake down a little?

What advice does anyone have to offer??

So for all those of you with long suffering wives, or complaining of the onset of withdrawal symptoms for lack of build diary notes - fear not: there's still a bit of life in this old dog yet!!

Hope you've enjoyed the ride so far.

As we have reached that time of year once more, may I extend my very best wishes for a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to one and all. With a bit of luck I hope to meet a few more members next year at the shows and local meets.

Kind regards to all

Mike
                              Last edited by Mike; 11-12-13, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Wey Hey Mike. Many congratulations on the successful IVA. That's great news.

Well done. You must feel chuffed to bits.

Sit down and relax with a couple of cold beers before you start on the lists above. Yes, we'll all miss the build diary updates but we'll probably all be too busy over the next few weeks to read them so keep the car mobile for a while and enjoy a few drives in the rare but inevitable cold crisp sunny winter mornings. It'll convince you, if you need any convincing, of why you built it in the first place...............................!!

I only spent a couple of weeks on my shake down. But by that time I had done 1500 miles in the sunniest summer for the last six years which made things a bit easier. But a shake down and paint job in the 4 months between now and Stonleigh must be a distinct possibility and I, and I'm sure many others, are looking forward to seeing it in all its glory (even if the paint's still wet.............!!)

Congratulations again. An IVA thoroughly deserved.

Nigel

Comment

Working...
                                X