Mike's Cabrio Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mike's Cabrio Build

Hi Mike. Have you considered fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I've had one for some time and have been surprised by the amount of control over the fuel metering that's available. In my case it's almost like having the "idle control screw" on a carburettor. Currently running 2.5 bar instead of the standard 3 bar (BMW M20). Regards David.

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
      Hi Mike. Have you considered fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I've had one for some time and have been surprised by the amount of control over the fuel metering that's available. In my case it's almost like having the "idle control screw" on a carburettor. Currently running 2.5 bar instead of the standard 3 bar (BMW M20). Regards David.
      Hi David

No, I was not aware that such a thing was possible, or desirable?
      What prompted you to consider one? Sounds intriguing.........?????

Tell me more...............

Mike
      Last edited by Mike; 01-05-14, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike
        I also installed an adjustable regulator on David's recommendation. Smoother tickover and much improved pickup just two of the benefits.
        David's car now has metering and ignition /electronics from E36 grafted on/in to m20 engine via piggy back ecu. You have to see this its a work of art!!!!
        Regards Alan

Comment

Hi Mike, Thanks Alan. The initial motivation for changing from the Motronic 1.3 engine management to the later 3.1, used on M50 non vanos engines was to get away from the barn door type of afm. I stumbled onto a forum where some enterprising guys had done this very conversion with some success and was fortunate to find on ebay someone selling most of the components required,( loom, individual coil packs, one or two sensors, e36 throttle body and mafs) which I managed to aquire cheaply (another pre-requisite for any conversion I attempt). It's not been without it's ups and downs and has taken about five months but I've finally got to the stage where I can say that the effort was worth the struggle. Regards David

Comment

I did not intend to.............
            .......but I've had a really good evening (well OK, late night!) and my Cabrio is back up and running on its new full fat unadulterated Inlet manifold.
            Unusually for a Bank Holiday weekend the A1 coming home was quiet, so I had an early finish, and so I thought I would seal the petrol tank/sender with Blue hermetite before our evening meal. Its not an easy job trying to keep hold of the C-ring inside the tank whilst removing the sender so that I could squeeze sealant around the perimeter. But it went better than I thought and the job was done before dinner.

AAs I was on a roll I went back into the garage "just to have a look" at what was required to fit my Inlet manifold, and after "just starting the job" I did a bit more and a bit more, and by midnight I had her ready to fire up.

Whoooh!

Seems to idle OK but I will need to take her out for a run tomorrow just to make sure all is OK.

So, just perhaps, Stoneleigh 2014 could be in my Cabrio..........?
            Last edited by Mike; 02-05-14, 11:46 PM.

Comment

At least one camera will being waiting to record this historic moment....can't promise a drum roll and fanfare but...........

Lol

Rgds DC

Comment

After saying "Next year, next year" to everyone's question about when would I bring my Cabrio to Stoneleigh? : here is one for the album

Parked out of the way, in the far corner of the MOC stand, yours truly with his "deaf aid beige" Cabrio at Stoneleigh 2014!

The next question I'm now being asked is "What colour are you going to paint it?!"

After seeing so many beautifully turned out Cabrios today I honestly don't know..........?
                Last edited by Mike; 06-05-14, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike, glad you made it to Stoneleigh. Did you make the return journey ok, as you were anticipating possible problems. Regards David

Comment

Hi David

Yes, I had a lovely, uneventful, drive home thank you. It was my first experience of the sun going down as I drove home in an open top cabin, and it was a really pleasant surprise. It was really surprising how much more vista you have in an open top car compared to the modern high waisted, low roof lined, dark interior cars we drive now days.

I think my 'problem' was/is either a broken electrical wire, or a poor connection to the throttle possition sensor. I wiggled it around at Stoneleigh which sorted the problem out while idling, and did not experience the issue again.My question now, is do I leave it alone or remove the offending piece of wire/connector and splice a new replacement section/connector?

I just have to quieten my exhaust down and it will be a pleasure to drive!

.......and stop a few of the annoying little rattles...... and.......and......and.....lots more ideas of what I want to do with it!

PS
                    Your E36/M50 engine management system was very impressive............and brave!
                    Last edited by Mike; 05-05-14, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike . Once you start driving it regularly the development process really starts, good to hear your issues were faily minor. Regards David

Comment

Cameron posted earlier that he had seen lots of innovation on the MOC stand this year.........................

My journey home would have been perfect, but for the b***dy din that bawled out of the back of my exhausts as I drove home. Today, it has really bugged me, so I've been giving some thought as to what might be the cause, and the cure.

I have twin 2 1/4" rear tail pipes as they were the smallest diameter Phoenix Exhausts offer with a rolled tip which I needed to meet IVA requirements. As I gave it more thought, the more the notion struck me that they look like ' Boy racer big bore exhausts'.
                        So I began to wonder if may be a smaller diameter tail pipe would quieten down the loudness.

To test my theory required something with a smaller inner bore that could easily be sealed inside my current tail pipe, but then removed just as easily:

So, now for the innovative test solution.................

IMG_6224.JPG

Two potatoes peeled to the right diameter and cored out!!!!

........and it proved the idea perfectly - it reduced the loudness noticably!!!!!!

So now for a proper solution..............watch this space!
                        Last edited by Mike; 06-05-14, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Biggest laugh i have had in a long time. LOL

Adrian

Comment

Hi Mike,
                            Nice to meet you at Stoneleigh. What variety of potato do you use? I’m guessing Chopin, Vivaldi, Harmony, Melody or Accord. Certainly not Romano. How far did you have drive before they were cooked?
                            I have to say Millie's Zetec does not have the throaty roar of the old Pinto. I guess that is the price I pay for going green.
                            Paul

Comment

Is this a variation on getting the engine 'chipped' Sorry folks couldn't resist it!

Comment

Is it April 1st

Comment

Working...
                                X