X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

Originally posted by andyf View Post
    Hi Dave

What paint are you using? I'm going to have to respray the body panels on mine at some point and I'm not sure if I can afford a professional respray so I may have to do it myself.

Andy
    Hi, good to see someone else's project coming along, I'm 3/4 through painting mine and just out of interest I got a few prices for a full preparation of body and respray. £500 - 900 for the prep work, depending on the state of the glass fiber body, although one fella said he would not touch it, hehe. and up to £2000 for a top spec respray, though £500 - 600 was also quoted.

Comment

So what type of paint did you opt for and do you have your own compressor and spray gun?
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
        So what type of paint did you opt for and do you have your own compressor and spray gun?
        Hi Andy, I bought a compressor + kit of tools from ebay, it's 10 cfm, enough for a HVLP spray gun ( If you take your time ) about £200 if I remember, the spray gun is a bit nasty but it's ok for sealer and undercoat etc, I also used it for the first 3 coats of top coat, I bought a finishing spray gun from Sealy for the last few coats, it's a much better tool, £37 from the dealer, £28 on ebay. I'm using Cellulose as I think it's more in keeping with the car and the pigments are better than 2 pack as far as I'm aware, especially red, besides that, it would be silly to use 2 pack if you have not got the correct breathing apparatus ( Isocyanide's will definitely kill you given too many gulps ) I am having problems with the top coat, but almost everyone does, the great thing about Cellulose is that you can pile it on and flat it down as many times as you want, then polish it up. A few tips I can leave you with, 1 - preparation is the most important part, make sure the old body is as good as you can manage. 2 - Use a few coats of sealer, I used Uniblock, 3 - Don't use a painted cheap spray gun for the top coats, as you clean it in thinners, the paint starts to fall off in your nice finish, no good, very frustrating, 4, if you have problems with the paint undercoat or finish, walk out of there, let it dry, do not mess with it, it's much easier to fix once it's cured. I'm doing this on the cheap, but even with the cost of the compressor etc, it's costing me about £550 ! a big saving over a spray shop job.

Comment

Paint ? I buy cans colour mixed by the local paint man, see earlier comments, it's a 1991 Subaru Mint Green which almost matches the original colour.

Done a bit more. The body tub is now sprayed and partially fixed in place, boot floor built and in, and battery in place and wired up.

The paint on the tub is not as good as it looks in the pix !

To add pix I hit "Go Advanced", then "Manage Attachments" then "Browse" and having found a pix hit "Upload", repeat if more pix, then hit "Submit Reply"
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks an excellent job DC, keep up the good work. David

Comment

A huge improvement on what you started with, you've got to be pleased with the result. Alan

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Three months is a long time between posts ! I've done a little more
                  Attached Files

Comment

More.......slow but sure, even if the paint job won't win any prizes....but looks good in the pics !

Had a bit of a tussle getting the cowl sorted, will wait to see the finished paint
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Re: Rebuild Diary MkI Roadster YTB 432

Cowl only placed in position, but it's encouraging to see big bits coming together
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dcunn; 06-02-15, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Next pics. The white on the bottom of the bonnet panel is the flash picking up on lacquer overspray - not removed because
                        the more paint thickness the better - and it's not obvious to the eye, and below the wing line.

Currently senility rules. About 18 months ago when dismantling I put the headlamp bar (flat body colour painted steel bar)
                        away somewhere safe...now I'm having to systematically look everywhere for it ....DOH !

Also having trouble stopping the carb over filling and leaking, suppose eventually I'll get the float adjustment correct

DC
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Looking very nice indeed, I assume its Triumph based from the front suspension.
                          Could I ask where you got your seats from please?
                          Kind regards
                          Mike.

Comment

Looking good for Stoneleigh then!!..... Easiest way to get the float level correct is to take the carb off and invert it then fit a new valve and soft aluminium washer. Fit the hinge pin and note that that the float lever arm should appear uppermost with carb inverted . Check the highest point of the float above the face of the body with the inlet needle valve closed is 16 to 17mm and the tag on the arm contacts the needle at a right angle. Check that the float hinges freely.
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

As usual, the pics look far better than the reality - Mike, it's Herald 13/60 based. Seats are standard Marlin Roadster seats from the early 80s.

I have a set of Hunter seats and door leather for sale if they're any use to you ( but too big for a Roadster)- send me a PM

Ben thanks, I'll get round to that soon, want to get the carb OK before fitting that bonnet side...............and no comment on Stoneleigh LoL

Rdgs DC

Comment

Dave

Would you like a nice new polished stainless steel headlamp bar? Around £60-£65 delivered?
                                The more members I can get to commit into this last batch the lower the final costs?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X