Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlin Body Panels

Originally posted by cdow View Post
    I was going to bid for these as I particularly want the bonnet. However, if as someone suggested, the the club is going to bid to keep these as spare molds for all to use then I won't.
    At the last committee meeting we discussed the issue of the MOC purchasing spare parts and holding them on behalf of the wider membership (something I originally thought was a good idea, and offered to provide storage) However, by the end of the discussion we agreed there were already enough spare parts held by existing members prepared to make them available/let them go to a needy member, that there was little need for the club to purchase any more.

Out of interest, the discussion around stocking Marlin specific parts included trying to secure the original Marlin/YKC GRP bucks/molds to make replacement wings etc, if they were available?

However, we have been advised that even if these were available for the club to buy, (and some are definitely not) they will be so old that they are unlikely to be usable as they deteriorate over time without a part being kept in the buck. The discussion went further, in that there are so many variations of each Marlin part that trying to hold them all, and reference them, would be almost impossible (the above discussion of the GRP vs ali inner wing being case in point).

We concluded that all parts could be made by either a decent GRP or ali engineer in the unlikely even that one could not be sourced via the club membership.

Essentially we have not reached a point in the club where Marlin specific spare parts have become sufficiently scarce that the club should hold an example of each of those parts. Over time that situation may change, and will be reviewed on a periodic basis for further discussion.

MOC Database: Spares
    On a related subject, part of the drive to create an MOC membership database is to allow us to include a section for members who are holding spares in their loft/garage which they are prepared to make available to another member in the event of an accident/genuine need.

By example - I have opted to make my details available on the MOC database, and will declare a pair of Cabrio wings front and back, (stored away in my loft "just in case") available to any needy member for use, or as a template for copying.

I trust you will see a number of other members doing likewise, meaning almost all parts could be available to a club member if a real need arises.
    Last edited by Mike; 16-01-14, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X