Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster

The joys of our hobby...
    If they don't frustrate the hell out of you, squeeze the wallet dry or steal all your spare time they fall back on trying to kill you.

Solenoid jammed on the starter..?

PS - my oil leak appears to be cured
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

There is every opportunity to drop a bolt and where does it go straight in the hole for the clutch arm or the other possibility is you have a bolt that's too long somewhere around the bell housing where they go into the block.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben you are a genius. Your post got me thinking about the bolts and although I was positive everything had gone back in where it came from there was a niggling doubt...teh two bolts which go through the plate on the sump itself had different washers, I had thought nothing of it, just a lost washer...but your post made me think. So 9am this morning I had a look and realised I had swapped it with the bottom starter motor bolt - its a bout 1/4" difference and enough for it to lock the flywheel. Result...engine and clutch all working. Champagne for everyone...

Comment

Dudaaaaaaa yes

Comment

MOT today. It failed on the blue tell-tale for high beam not working (just a bulb) and the interior mirror fell off and broke before the test. I am going to try and find a couple of nice chromey side mirrors tomorrow then all should be well. ...nearly there.

Comment

Great News! The roadster now has an MOT

Comment

See you Sunday

Comment

Nice one Cameron
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

replacing the 205 sized tyres with 185s has transformed the ride too!

Comment

Don't forget the Champagne

Comment

is that your tipple Ben I would have put you down as a real ale man.

Comment

The day before Stoneleigh I thought I had better shake teh roadster down so planned a quick trip to Chester, around 40 miles each way. Progress was good but the temp gauge kept creeping slowly upwards until I thought I had better stop and have a look. NOthing seemed overly hot but I thought I would wait it out a bit longer. Then, curses, the car wouldnt restart. The clear fuel filter showed no fuel and the pump (in the engine bay) was banging away...thought the tank was full. (It was!).
                          Fuel vaporisation or something blocking the pipe? Eventually after standing by the roadside for about an hour - waving to Derek as he sailed past on the other side oft eh dual carriageway- the car restarted thanks to a squirt of easystart into the airfilters. However I didnt think I would risk it down to Stoneleigh and went in the audi instead.

Comment

Heat under the bonnet can be a real PITA.

I had an eventful trip back from Stoneleigh, finishing the trip on a flatbed. First time in 20+ years I've not managed to fix any problem road-side so not a bad record I guess.
                            The RAC man couldn't help much (no OBD socket) but we did spend an hour pleasantly chatting about classic restorations while waiting for the recovery truck.

The car had stuttered a couple of times on the way down, resulting in an impromptu stop on the hard-shoulder...I initially thought it was down to a loose breather but a running repair addressed that. Coming back all was fine until about 40 minutes in and the car suddenly starting to lose power (somewhat inconvenient as I was overtaking on the M42 at the time..!).

Safely back, after following a few clues from the RAC guy I think the issue is down to the routing of the heater hoses which pass quite close to the throttle position sensor - I suspect that on a longish run the heat build-up is causing the TPS to go screwy, resulting in the ECU not knowing what is being asked of it. So I'll replace the TPS as a precaution & re-route the offending hose & see how it goes.

Happy days

Comment

Happy days indeed...what would we do if everything went smoothly just once!
                              Rather than move the fuel pump into the rear of the car I decided to make a reflective ally temp deflector to shield the pump and pipework from the exhaust. Looks quite neat, will go for a razzz and see if it does anything. I was rather taken with the remote expansion tank on a lovely red roadster and will make up some brackets to do that conversion myself. I also need to balance and tune the SU carbs and check the kenlowe fan is working. After that I need to make the fuel gauge work (there's another one!) in some fashion and then I can start blinging it up ready to win best roadster next year! hahahahhahaaa. Some seriously nice roadsters at Stoneleigh and some real innovation on display.

Comment

Spent a good hour balancing carbs and have improved drivability no end but cant get a decent tickover at all. However, the landrover engine mounts arrived today and so I am now ready to do a twin to single carb conversion without cutting a hole in the bonnet.
                                Took her for a quick blat last night and although she was warm there was no sign of overheating and when I got out to check under the bonnet the fuel filter was still full of visible fuel so Im hoping my heat shield has worked.
                                Now here's a silly question...can the nose be removed without taking off the wings? There are three bolts underneath and three up the side, all of which look do-able. So if I whip off the light bar and remove those bolts the nose should wiggle out? What say you?

Comment

Working...
                                X