Marina Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marina Roadster

Very nice, very tidy, have you resprayed it ? and could you tell me where the material that covers the dashboard came from, I like it, and I'd like the same on mine when I get round to making my new dashboard.

Comment

Very nice, you've really given it a spring clean.

Comment

Sorted!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words wouldnt have managed it without all your help.
          Harry, the dashboard is covered in plain old black leatherette vinyl. I opted not to go for any padding as I wanted to spray the bezels on the instruments and keep everything neat and flat - I have some left. The car only had a little paint - most of the work was in cutting back and polishing (all by hand) and the paint isnt perfect but it looks nice and reflects a patina which comes with age. (ok Im not very good at spraying...yet).

Comment

Looks good, must make some progress on mine this weekend
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Looking Gooooood Cameron.

The Ribster wheels always looked just right on the Roadster, particularly when painted Red with a black chassis.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                Thanks for the kind words wouldnt have managed it without all your help.
                Harry, the dashboard is covered in plain old black leatherette vinyl. I opted not to go for any padding as I wanted to spray the bezels on the instruments and keep everything neat and flat - I have some left. The car only had a little paint - most of the work was in cutting back and polishing (all by hand) and the paint isnt perfect but it looks nice and reflects a patina which comes with age. (ok Im not very good at spraying...yet).
                I like that leathertte, I think you made the right choice, most of the padded dashboards I've seen look a right mare, I'm going surfing for leatherette tonight !

Comment

vtf676L7.jpg

vtf676L8.jpg

Note the range rover sidelights - a well-worth it upgrade. You will have noticed that one of the wind deflectors is missing. I decided to test its strength by knocking it and found it shattered into a million pieces . I have the other one which I will use to get a new one made up - I think acrylic might be safer.

I am definitely going to sell the car. It only needs some minor tuning and if I was keeping it I would replace the spring and shackle bushes (not that they need it but because its a good thing to do).The car is correctly registered and is tax exempt with a proper MOT. The question is should I wait till the Spring? I think I will get a Berli next and restore one of those. But hopefully the sale of this one will generate enough cash for me to get the Romero finished and IVAd.
                  Last edited by cameronfurnival; 29-09-14, 09:41 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    ... I am definitely going to sell the car ...
                    Shame it's not a 6 cylinder hybrid, I'd be throwing cash at you now! How much? Any weather gear with it?

David.
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Well done another Marlin rescued..I love the look of the Rib wheels with the Red ..Is it a long wheel base or short.
                      Peter

Comment

its the lwb Peter. And yes its good to see cars coming back into use. This particular one was well-built in the first place and came apart pretty easily. trouble is Im no listing more and more jobs I can do...they never really are finished are they

and Yes full weather gear, no rips or tears
                        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 02-10-14, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Being a fair-weather roadster owner. (above 25 degrees and zero chance of precipitation or wind) the little red roadster is sat in its garage now. I went to a local glazier to see how much it would cost to have a new wind deflector cut and was told £110 for a pair. *gulp*. I am hoping to get some glass-like polycarb and see how that goes - I'm much happier cutting that stuff than glass. Meanwhile I'm onto the next set of carbs. I started with HIF6s, way too rich with the big needles in them and so I bought a single carb kit from Jez (lil_red_roadster) which worked fine - a little bit down on power at the top end maybe but perfectly ok. However... the SC just doesn't look manly enough. I chucked the twins back on and took them as lean as I could - hissing, spitting and backfiring was all I could achieve. A good tick-over meant no power and a bit of oomph meant the lumpiest of tick-overs (had to idle at 1500 rpm). Should I go back to single and put up with the comments about my manliness? I put some leaner needles in and things were better but nowhere near what I would like. I think a pair of 1 3/4" HIF6s on pancake filters just is too much.
                          I came across a pair of 1 1/2" HS4s on fleabay and bought them for not many beer tokens. They arrived yesterday so I have stripped them, cleaned and painted etc. I note they are american spec (*uhoh*) and have the AAU (lean) needles fitted. But everything is in order, very little wear to be seen, just a disconnected choke return spring to reattach).
                          Anyway, they are about to go on tomorrow but...I am making a nice ally heatshield (better than the steel thing that comes as standard) - the design of the originals was flawed anyway as they supposed most heat was transmitted but we now know that radiated heat from the exhaust is much more of a problem - hence replace the black steel thing with a shiny ally one).
                          So as I'm waiting for the carb cleaner to work etc I trawl the internet and find alternatives for the air filters. Pancakes are well known power sappers (sommat to do with resonance in the air flow i think). So i'm looking to make an air box with remote cold air feed. Lightbulb moment...Triumph Spitfire! They had quite thin airboxes on HS4s. I wonder if anyone has tried making a new back plate to fit it to the Marina TC setup? Will it fit in the space? Maybe I should just make one out of ally sheet? Maybe I should stick with pancakes?
                          Any one got any thoughts? I know this has been a recurrent theme over the years but has anyone solved it???

Comment

I tried pancakes, and allsorts (the liquorice melted) but finished up with a pair of trumpets/ram pipes like these here or there keeps the big stuff out, but we are not dealing with a tuned, emission controlled, engine here, and the small stuff just gets eaten up!
                            Not so good if you go mud plugging etc.

The sound is something else!

Comment

There was a piccie I saw recently of the solution...buggered if I can remember which thread though.
                              Thin airbox across the carbs with a central take-off to a remote filter. I did knock something similar up ages ago so here's a picture of that...however the takeoff I used (or more accurately the aperture into the airbox) didn't flow enough air over 3500 revs.
                              I gave up twins shortly afterwards
                              AAA needles are, IIRC, the suggested ones for HS4 when running K&N filters.

dscf0255.jpg
                              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

the ram pipes look very sexy. hmmm.
                                I was thinking similar to Jez's Box arrangement above but wedge shaped (towards the bulkhead) to allow more air to flow and the take off to the filter where Jez had his battery. If I went with ram pipes then the mix would be even leaner and although the AAU is only silghtly leaner than the AAA (minty graph!) I dont want to over-goose it and then spend a fortune on needle swaps.

meanwhile, I swapped out the IAVC on the Romero and that is now running beautiful on its EECiv kit.

Comment

Working...
                                X