Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a weekend (plus help needed on starting issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a weekend (plus help needed on starting issue)

ok, should've looked at the link!!

Comment

Cameron there is an up rated spray bar available, has been for a lot of years now, but it still takes a little time to get the oil up to the overhead cam no matter what. So simple cost effective answer to let engine turn over several times and give it a chance to get oil on every lobe of the cam, before the start up. My personal opinion is that semi synthetic and sinthetic oils are suited to more (modern) engines and the pinto was built for mineral oil.

Comment

Sorry I should have said 20/50 mineral oil However as I have said above this is a matter of personal choice.

Comment

you see how much you can learn on this forum Thanks Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Alan.c View Post
            ......................................It would appear this has a built in NRV. I assume its fitted before the inlet side of the mech fuel pump.
            Yes and yes!

Comment

The cam is the last place to receive oil from the oil pump. Vulcan engineers say start as soon as possible and don't let the engine idle. this goes against the grain for died in the wool tinkerers like me. This advice is to pump loads of oil quickly to the cam - 2000rpm is fine they say. After a long lay off I remove the dizzy having made sure the position is marked first, then insert a long 6mm socket attached to a power drill to the little quill shaft dizzy drive. This also drives the oil pump so after a couple of seconds on the cordless drill ( make sure it is clockwise) there is a lot of oil around the engine and on the cams. One minute to replace the dizzy and then I don't worry about starting up instantly. I've gone EFi on my Pinto and have a fuel swirl pot that is filled from a low pressure pump. I have fitted a push button and flip/flop relay to allow me to fill the swirl pot without starting the engine. After a long lay off I can then be sure that the HP injection pump will not run dry. Later cars had a pump inside the fuel tank making this all unnecessary.........
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
              X