Replacing Rover V8 gearbox in a YKC Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Rover V8 gearbox in a YKC Roadster

Mid last year I decided to replace the gearbox in my Rover V8 powered YKC Roadster and thanks to Dave Siddall who offered me a secondhand unit which I had refurbished at a local transmission company it is now ready to be fitted.
    I would welcome any comments from any body who has done this before without taking the engine out.
    The intention is to raise the rear of the car on to its "dolly" lifting it by some 20" then lowering the gear lever end until the engine and gearbox are level and hopefully allowing the gearbox to be detached and rolled backwards. this is being done over a pit so access should be good.
    First jobs are to disconnect anything that will stop the engine tilting backwards, so exhaust system needs to be detached, the radiator has to come out as its very close to the fan blades plus I also noticed a small leak on the radiator where the expansion pipe is soldered in so I will take this out as well. I will try to post some pictures as it goes on.
    However one interesting tip I discovered so far was as follows - you know how you always get covered in coolant when you detach the bottom hose, even after draining the two "side block" drain taps on a V8. I discovered that if you pressurise the the system from the expansion tank then all the coolant is expelled from the radiator through the "side block" drain taps leaving virtually nothing in the system and so not getting wet when removing the bottom hose.
    more to follow although it my be over some time.
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8
Working...
X