No announcement yet.

Berlinetta restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Berlinetta doors cracking and splitting - any fixes?

Quick Update, enjoying the first afternoon free in over six months I decided to get on with some stripping. Its got to be done, I know I could have repaired locally but it wouldnt be right by the car so I have started taking all the paint off. I got my air powered DA sander going (the electric DIY job wasnt even getting through the first coat) and soon found out the car has 12 layers of paint. I am using industrial strength paint stripper on the metal bits, its quite slow so needs plenty of attention. Getting through that top two layers of silver is taking huge quantities of the stuff. BUt I would rather do it slow than rush it. I have now cleaned back half of the NS wing, the NS flitch panel, door hinge cover and sill all the way along. I'm quite pleased.
    I have also decided to basically restore the whole car whilst I am at it and hopefully will end up with a lovely example.

Comment

Dashboard has been out and all the peeling varnish removed. Wiring fettled a little, excess carpet trimmed away and starting to go back together - just a quick break from scraping paint off.

WP_20161029_14_51_23_Pro.jpg

Comment

That looks very nice.
        - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          That looks very nice.
          ... +1

Comment

...........+ 1 more
            Great Job

Comment

I have not seen anything as well polished as that since my Grans sideboard!

Comment

haha! It has five coats of very hard varnish (for floors I believe) sanded between each. The original was probably only one or two coats. I have now remade the tunnel top and am about to redye the vinyl parts - probably black. New batch of sanding discs arrived this morning so as soon as I get a chance I'm back at it.

Comment

After a rather horrendous storm on Friday which saw three massive trees come down on my garden I have some tidying up to do. Its a good excuse though to go back into the garage and have a look at how things are progressing. The sanding back is still slow, I contacted a media blaster nearby and he told me it would cost £120 per hour and probably take 7 or 8 hours to do the job (not including the extensive stripping down I would have to do first). That's a lot of dosh. Just think about that, if I media blast and then have it professionally resprayed you are talking somewhere between three and four grand! Possibly more than it will be worth...ever! So, the labour of love continues.
                  I was just looking at the seats. At one time they would have been a nice bright red but are now faded to orange. I think I will recolour them but before I take the plunge and order the dyes etc I was wondering if anyone has a product they would recommend?

Comment

Furniture clinic had an impressive demonstration of their leather care products at the NEC classic car show.

Comment

i have loked at the furniture clinic stuff and swwapped some emails - seems a good choice - as soon as i canget some warmer weather in which to spray...
                      Meanwhile, stripdown carries on...turning out to be a funny car this - alsmoast everything is assembeld to a really high standard but then you get one or two quirky bits - like the coiled brake pipe on the cross member and the bashed in exhaust (to clear the column). Never mind, onwards and backwards!

WP_20161212_15_11_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20161212_15_11_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20161212_15_12_49_Pro.jpg

Comment

"Onwards and backwards" seems about right for kit car rebuilds, it's like the old aviation adage "hurry up and wait"

I just need to keep looking at the "before" pics to convince myself that there really is progress

Comment

you are on the home stretch now DC don't give in! I'm still stripping off layers and layers of paint! I have found that the problme layer was the original red and cream - it didnt stick in places and so the following silver coats have lifted.

Comment

I have done a lot of stripping! Just the scuttle, bonnet and tub left to do - and then a whole load of remedial work to the grp - its not in very good nick I'm afraid with lots of previous repairs evident and star crazing, cracks holes etc. Still, better than watching telly at this time of year!

Here's a question for you engineer types...

The bonnet hinge is held together by lots of these little blighters - its a splined cap with M5 thread and 8mm nut, What are they called? I want to get new ones.

BonnetHingeFastener.jpg

ANd merry christmas one and all

Comment

Cant help with bolts but don't forget Captain Tolleys Creaping Crack Cure, it really does save a lot of sanding.

I have used it to great effect and the cracks don't reappear.

Regards

Adrian

Comment

Cheers Adrian - I had forgotten about that!

Comment

Working...
                                X