Re: Triumph twin Strombergs...

SOLVED

I decided to strip down the front 'new' carb and guess what;

1) One of the choke mechanism screws damaged so hell of a job to get out
    2) Float chamber valve sticking
    3) Float chamber valve seriously blocked
    4) Float chamber bung clips broken

See photo's.

All cleaned up reassembled, first attempt failure (https://youtu.be/SkTDQlT_CLw), second with Easy Start and some throttle BINGO! (https://youtu.be/gKHwgERa0k4)

Moral of the story. Don't be lazy thinking a quick purchase will fix a problem. In my case a blocked up old carb could have been fixed the way I had to fix BOTH the refurbished carbs.

Thanks everyone for the support.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Apologies for being blunt but have you actually checked the diaphragms or are you assuming ok . I would assume nothing based on what you found in float chamber.
      Can I ask whom were the carb suppliers?

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
        Apologies for being blunt but have you actually checked the diaphragms or are you assuming ok . I would assume nothing based on what you found in float chamber.
        Can I ask whom were the carb suppliers?
        Our posts crossed... see above.

Will PM anyone who wants to know who NOT to buy carbs from!
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Guess we hit the send at same time . Glad you got a result. Pm where not to purchase from.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            SOLVED

Excellent news! Well done! And what an appalling standard of refurb supplier you have suffered from.

I'm off to get a beer now and celebrate for you. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter. Yes I think I'll get a beer as well.

Just the tuning and timing to do now.... what a relief!

Comment

Great news

Comment

I'm just going to have a large Valium.

Good news , we can now all switch our brains off until the next time. Well done David for not giving up, and there is still some Summer left.

Give us the name of the firm to avoid, looks like a quick dip in carb cleaner and a polishing up on a mop, and bingo refurbished carbs, not.
                  Last edited by philcoyle; 30-08-16, 08:54 PM.

Comment

By the time I got home from Hereford you had it sorted, for those querying the choke system only the front carb has the extra fuel device and a transfer pipe goes to the rear carb. Obviously if the front carb was struggling for fuel then so was the rear.

David can you pm me the carb company so that I know not to advise anyone else to go there.
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 28-05-17, 09:45 PM.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Well, that was too good to be true wasn't it.

I spent an hour running the engine yesterday whilst tuning and balancing the carbs and doing the timing. All good.

Cooled down over night, back out into the garage today and a quick spanner and screwdriver over nuts and clips to make sure everything was tight. Time for a drive.

Sitting in the driver seat I noticed that with ignition on the fuel pump didn't stop ticking, so pressure was not coming up. Of course fuel was pouring out of the front carb.

I whipped the carb off no crap in the float chamber but the float chamber needle valve was stuck up. I know that this means fuel should NOT be flowing if the valve is up but I thought I'd fixed that. So somehow the floats are not shutting off the fuel flow. Possibly still crap above the needle valve stopping it closing tight? What else causes overflow?

So Monday morning I will phone the supplier and ask for a full refund, I'm not happy having to continually strip and rebuild carbs that are supposed to be 'new'.
                      Last edited by David; 04-09-16, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Gordon Bennett! I thought you had cracked it, you are having some bad luck. The only thing that comes to mind is the floats are sticking down in the bowls and so the fuel continues to pour out.
                        I think it's about time you named and shamed these cowboys who sell highly polished junk.

Comment

Unless all that crap in the float valve was from your system I would very much doubt the valve was a new one in the first place. It would certainly have needed a good clean out to get it working properly.
                          Another common problem can be fitting the float assembly upside down. Easy done with double tag type floats. Or the float level being too high. Or fuel pump pressure too high.
                          So not a polished performance from this carb company!!
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Unfortunately going on the state of the carbs that you have, it would seem that little attention was paid to the jets , floats, etc. and it is quite possible the needle valve seats are worn and that's why the fuel will not stop when the floats rise up.
                            I would ask for your money back, but going on what they turn out I would not expect them to be a reputable company.

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
                              Unless all that crap in the float valve was from your system I would very much doubt the valve was a new one in the first place. It would certainly have needed a good clean out to get it working properly.
                              Another common problem can be fitting the float assembly upside down. Easy done with double tag type floats. Or the float level being too high. Or fuel pump pressure too high.
                              So not a polished performance from this carb company!!
                              I have ordered a new valve from Rimmers, and new float chambe bottom bung (as well as new gaskets, again). I hadn't removed the floats so they should be OK. ANnoying thing is the carb was working fine yesterday! Have double check my new filter(s) in the field line, no rubbish in them. Discounted fuel pressure a while back as same pumps that have been on for ages.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my Roadster after I changed the mechanical pump on a Triumph Herald 1300 engine. I tried all ways to stop the carb flooding, a Groose float, still flooded, so I solved the problem with a pressure regulator. Since then I remember Ben saying that the brand new mechanical pumps have a greater pressure. David.

Comment

Working...
                                X