• Show
Clear All

Re: Steering rack LH tie-rod bearing MOT fail

Hi Steve

OK will do.

Sorry if I troubled you.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
    I will not be contacting Chris Weedon on your behalf.
    Use Google or even this forum and you can do that yourself. You don't have to be a member of a club to do that.

Strangely enough I am currently not a member either!

Comment

Hi all

I have attempted to share this information with Chris Weedon but the email address supplied failed and when I try to go to his Web site the URL no longer exists.

If anyone is a member of the Marina Club could I ask if you could pass this information on.

I will try later to call him on the number supplied.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
      Hi Steve

OK will do.

Sorry if I troubled you.

Adrian

Comment

Update - I have managed to get in touch with someone who can contact Chris so hopefully I will be able to pass the information on.

Adrian

Hi all

I have attempted to share this information with Chris Weedon but the email address supplied failed and when I try to go to his Web site the URL no longer exists.

If anyone is a member of the Marina Club could I ask if you could pass this information on.

I will try later to call him on the number supplied.

Many thanks.

Adrian

Comment

Further update - managed to contact Chris Weedon , so job done.

Adrian

Update - I have managed to get in touch with someone who can contact Chris so hopefully I will be able to pass the information on.

Adrian

Comment

Well done Adrian - its good to see a good natured sole prepared to put himself out to help others, and those outside our club too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Well done Adrian - its good to see a good natured sole prepared to put himself out to help others, and those outside our club too.
              I would have loved to have helped, again, but I am in transit accross Europe on a motorbike. The MOC, at this time, is not my top priority, especially when Google can supply the correct information.

Comment

Nice one Steve,
                I did the journey from Zeebruge to Nice via Luxemburg, with my girlfriend on pillion.
                They didn't half stare and look when we swopped seats and I was holding on to her comfy bits, well what a silly place to put things!
                Phil.

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread. I have eventually found time to have a look at my steering rack. Over the next couple of weeks I will be working on it, posting photos and asking questions. Hopefully, the process will help others in the future.

Over the weekend I removed the nearside track rod end and the rack gaitor in order to have a closer look. I haven't yet removed the rack itself. The remains of the bush, well the nylon bits, were in the gaitor and the metal ring is still in the casing.

Before I dive in, there are a couple of questions I would like to ask please.

On page 3 above Steve posted a picture showing a rack casing with a plastic bush fitted flush with the outer end of the casing.(picture 1)

Is this the mk2 rack with a modified bush and modified location? If so, I'm guessing that I probably have a MK1 rack. The bush on my rack is mounted 40mm down inside the casing like the one shown by Chris Weedon (pictures 2 & 3)

I am wondering if it may be possible to fit the type of bush shown in picture 1 to my rack? Probably a stupid idea, but my rack casing looks the same to me, with the indentations around the inside rim where the bush locking tabs sit. If this were possible, I am even wondering if I may get away with splitting the ball joint with the rack on the car then sliding the bush into place. In this case, I would leave the original bush ring in situ. As I say, probably a stupid idea!!!
                  Attached Files
                  Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Here are some initial photos.
                    Attached Files
                    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

It is notable that those who sought to criticise Steve's previous contributions on this subject have singularly failed to offer any further advice or assistance.
                      Once again, between several different forums advice is denigrated by a few bigoted members of the MOC. More reasons not to join the 'friendly' club.
                      Either contribute with validated information, than suggest advice where there is no evidence in support.
                      This steering rack problem has been identified and a solution provided, if you have a proven alternative solution, why not go into print! Otherwise you are just spreading more misinformation!
                      I am beginning to wonder why I bother even reading this forum, excellent advice for Marina Roadsters is available elsewhere.

Comment

then don't

Originally posted by NIck Myra View Post
                        It is notable that those who sought to criticise Steve's previous contributions on this subject have singularly failed to offer any further advice or assistance.
                        Once again, between several different forums advice is denigrated by a few bigoted members of the MOC. More reasons not to join the 'friendly' club.
                        Either contribute with validated information, than suggest advice where there is no evidence in support.
                        This steering rack problem has been identified and a solution provided, if you have a proven alternative solution, why not go into print! Otherwise you are just spreading more misinformation!
                        I am beginning to wonder why I bother even reading this forum, excellent advice for Marina Roadsters is available elsewhere.

Comment

Can't be doing with the politics. Such a shame that personal agendas creep into this forum. This resource is so useful to amateurs like me so I thought I would try to put a little back instead of just asking for advice every time. I will keep posting the photos as I work my way slowly through this job. It may help someone in the future.

Comment

I'm finding it interesting.
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Me too...there's an interesting recent thread over on FastMarina which also touches on the merits (or otherwise) of a quick & dirty (rack in) vs. a more involved (rack-out) bush replacement.
                              Link is here.
                              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Great link, thanks. This is, sort of, what I was getting at above. It is now obvious to me that the type of bush in picture 1(my post dated 14/3/17) above would not be deep enough in the casing to allow full lock with my type of rack, but I think I will have a go at fitting the red poly bush without removing the rack as described on FastMarina. If I fail, back to plan A.

Comment

Working...
                                X