X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparker1994
    replied
    Re: Roadster swb MGB engine and gearbox help

Will say unfortunately the lovely vehicle behind the Marlin is my neighbors not mine, I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor that shares the same interests so we share the space. Makes working on it and other vehicles easier!

Plan is to fit make the engine mounts and get it to fit. Then remove, engine refurb then refit once again for IVA test.

Leave a comment:

• HairyDave
    replied

Interesting project behind the Marlin. From past experience, it is better to get the engine sorted before surrounding it with pannels. They do restrict access. I do believe that over about 60 MPH tracks can be a bit tricky on wet roads and corners! I wish my workshop was as spacious.

Leave a comment:

• sparker1994
    replied

Now that would be cool!

Leave a comment:

• wiggiesworld
    replied

Please confirm that you're going to use those caterpillar tracks at the side of the garage to turn it into the first Marlin half-track! Ha ha ha

Leave a comment:

• sparker1994
    replied

So!

I have removed the horrible rotten ply wood floor and transmission tunnel ready to position the engine and gearbox to measure up the mount position etc.

I have rebuilt the SU Carbs, fitted an Acuspark Distributor system (no more points, lovely!) and given it a test fire. 3/4 cylinders have poor compression (valve seat probably need work) but after some fiddling she fired!! there is hope yet!

Engine and gear box are now bolted together for the test fitting.

next steps are to hang the engine and box and figure out where it's going to go!
    from there it'll be some thinking and fabricating of new mounts to hold the lump

IMG_20191027_141602.jpg
    IMG_20191110_162009.jpg
    IMG_20191117_145447.jpg
    IMG_20191117_145456.jpg
    IMG_20191117_145508.jpg

Leave a comment:

• HairyDave
    replied

Often the best way, that way you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Leave a comment:

• sparker1994
    replied

Evening all! Sorry for the late response!

Thanks all for commenting, I have just gone for it and ripped the floor and tunnel out the vehicle.

Plan to rebuild the floor and tunnel around the MGB gearbox in hopes that there is still enough space for our legs!

I'll post pictures when on the computer!

Cheers,

Sam

Leave a comment:

• ggrum
    replied

The Alfa engine is all alloy with wet liners so lots of coolant round the cylinders. It also has a large oil capacity (about 6 litres from memory) and a wide alloy sump with cooling fins. I had a thermostatically controlled electric cooling fan which only ever came on once and that was when I was stuck in traffic in the centre of Le Mans on a baking hot June day.

Leave a comment:

• marlin1984
    replied

The Alfa engine must be a well-designed and naturally cooled engine. With a mechanical fan too far back then it just stirs engine bay heat and definitely uses a few bhp.

Shame the ACTC will only accept B engines in Class 7 otherwise I'd be quite tempted. The 1750 Alfa engine is much nicer [the 2.0 litre is even better …]

Edited : I happily stand corrected by A K-B. ACTC will accept a few other engines in Class 7 but not the Alfa twin-cam [nor the Rover V8].
    Last edited by marlin1984; 11-11-19, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Marlin
    replied

Learning loads on overheating / manual fans. I thought the fan on my Alfa engine was doing a great job as I have never had any problems. Now I'm wondering how it can be effective as it has no shroud and sits well behind the radiator.

Leave a comment:

• stevejgreen
    replied

Originally posted by marlin1984 View Post
    Hi Sam
    Gloucestershire is my old stamping ground. I'd be very surprised if there isn't someone with a suitable Marlin in the Stroud & District Motor Club [at their last trial I was told about 12 Marlins were there …] Might be worth joining and asking ?

ATB
    (ref. mechanical fans. My Mk2 had a standard-looking B engine with standard mechanical fan. BUT it was so far away from the core as to be useless/just absorbing bhp to drive it/stirring engine bay heat ! [now removed and I will rely on an electric fan in front of rad. - fingers crossed!)

Ideally a mechanical fan without a shroud should be 1/2" to 3/4" from the core [to allow for engine movement under braking. Impossible on Marina-suspended Mk 2 because of the rack].

Reminds me - I must also block the big gaps around the Marlin rad. to ensure all airflow goes through the core.

"ITV" is that a typo for IVA? ITV is a tv station.
    My treaties on Overheating Roadsters at Keepandshare covers most of this, but it’s mostly irrelevant to fitting an MGB engine and gearbox in a Roadster.

Leave a comment:

• stevejgreen
    replied

Originally posted by Blue Marlin View Post
    My old mates Roadster had a 1.8 Marina engine and he fitted an MGB gearbox with OD. I seem to recall that he had to get a new backplate made but I can't remember what other modifications were done.
    It did go to Gloucestershire but I don't think it's there now.
    https://www.marlinownersclub.com/for...highlight=Q232
    Converting a Marina block to MGB, is a lot more than a backplate. flywheel, starter motor, clutch, spigot bush, fuel pump, spring to mind.

Leave a comment:

• stevejgreen
    replied

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
    ITV - Inspecciòn Tècnica de Vehiculos
    Spanish MOT test. Steve lives in Spain now so we sometimes get the spanish equivalent in his posts
    It was a typo, possibly exasperated by my iPad preferring ITV to IVA, which I was careful to check this time.

But yes you are right, the Spanish ITV covers every technical inspection whether IVA or MOT equivalent. The vast majority are operated by contractors, licensed by the government, rarely direct government agency employees.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Marlin
    replied

My old mates Roadster had a 1.8 Marina engine and he fitted an MGB gearbox with OD. I seem to recall that he had to get a new backplate made but I can't remember what other modifications were done.
    It did go to Gloucestershire but I don't think it's there now.

Leave a comment:

• jon_cox
    replied

ITV - Inspecciòn Tècnica de Vehiculos
    Spanish MOT test. Steve lives in Spain now so we sometimes get the spanish equivalent in his posts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X