If you are an existing member and your password is not working or has expired click here enter your email address then click on "Forgot password"


If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have questions please use the Contact Page for a personal response

If you wish to contribute to our discussions then please consider joining the club - its a mere £18 per year and worth every penny!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M52TU Alterantives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • M52TU Alterantives

    My nearly completed Sportster is based on an M52TUB25 engine. The ECU was remapped by Ergen Motorsports to overcome the immobiliser/canbus issues.
    The guy finishing the car for me has overcome a number of bad connections in the engine loom and had got the engine running OK. But it now won’t start. Almost as if the work done by Ergen didn’t actually do the job.
    Am at the point where starting to wonder if drawing a line under the current engine might be the best way forward. If so what would go in relatively easily and avoid all the challenges of the the TU variants?
    Would a plain M52 engine, pre the dual vanos TU variant, drop straight in mechanically and not need the various security mods that the TU needed?
    Any other obvious choices?
    It was due to be booked in for IVA shortly having just got a new windscreen from Marlin. So this is pretty frustrating.
    I am going to try another remapped allegedly stand-alone ECU. But if that doesn’t work then wondering if a complete change is on the cards.

  • #2
    Re: M52TU Alterantives

    Can't help re the engine choices I'm afraid but I do know that you should leave fitting the Marlin windscreen until after the IVA test, it's a definite fail due to incorrect radius on edges.Regards David

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: M52TU Alterantives

      Has EWS been disabled? If not they can go out of sync / bad and cause a no start. There are ways around it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: M52TU Alterantives

        Originally posted by dcjsimons View Post
        My nearly completed Sportster is based on an M52TUB25 engine. The ECU was remapped by Ergen Motorsports to overcome the immobiliser/canbus issues.
        The guy finishing the car for me has overcome a number of bad connections in the engine loom and had got the engine running OK. But it now won’t start. Almost as if the work done by Ergen didn’t actually do the job.
        Am at the point where starting to wonder if drawing a line under the current engine might be the best way forward. If so what would go in relatively easily and avoid all the challenges of the the TU variants?
        Would a plain M52 engine, pre the dual vanos TU variant, drop straight in mechanically and not need the various security mods that the TU needed?
        Any other obvious choices?
        It was due to be booked in for IVA shortly having just got a new windscreen from Marlin. So this is pretty frustrating.
        I am going to try another remapped allegedly stand-alone ECU. But if that doesn’t work then wondering if a complete change is on the cards.
        Google Autolox. They cover Guildford which may be near enough to you for help. Their blog seems to cover the same issues that you have described. Peter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: M52TU Alterantives

          Originally posted by Patrick View Post
          Has EWS been disabled? If not they can go out of sync / bad and cause a no start. There are ways around it.
          Yes it has allegedly been disabled . It was done several years ago by Ergen Motorsports, at the time they were kne if they few outfits doing it for the M52TU. Unfortunately they have gone out of business.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: M52TU Alterantives

            Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
            Google Autolox. They cover Guildford which may be near enough to you for help. Their blog seems to cover the same issues that you have described. Peter.
            Thanks will take a look. Only trouble is car is being finished off up in Coventry.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: M52TU Alterantives

              I see you are active on MadAboutKit cars. I seem to remember a user called Timbo had similar issues a few years ago.
              Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: M52TU Alterantives

                There still an ODB port on the loom? Could try plugging in some diag tools see if the DME has thrown any codes. I've used INPA and Carsoft on E36's.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: M52TU Alterantives

                  The bad news is this sounds like an EWS issue (which should have been deleted). It will start around 30-50 times and then refuse to start again.
                  I am surprised that Adem Ergen has let you down - he did my M54 ECU and then the M52TU of Timbo (on Madabout).

                  The good news is that there are now plenty of the Drift community into modifying these ECUs at very reasonable cost. Have a look on EBay - several adverts at less than £40.

                  Having got as far as you have I would advise staying with your M52TU - I think it will be a far less expensive option to get a reworked ECU than trying to convert to a non TU .

                  Regards
                  Mike
                  Last edited by Mike; 09-09-21, 07:15 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: M52TU Alterantives

                    I've used an 'EWS Emulator' on a non TU M52 to sort an EWS issue where the units was out of sync. I need to look up exactly what it was but it was similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...W+EWS&_sacat=0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: M52TU Alterantives

                      Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
                      I see you are active on MadAboutKit cars. I seem to remember a user called Timbo had similar issues a few years ago.
                      Yes I am on Madabout kitcars and the guy yiu mention is the guy who steered me to Ergen Motorpsorts for their solution. Unfortunately that didn’t seem to work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: M52TU Alterantives

                        Update. The immediate pressure is off. A remapped ECU seems to have sorted the problem. At least the engine was running fine yesterday. This one claims to be a totally standalone solution, You don’t need to have the EWS unit connected at all. Whereas the Ergen one still had the EWS module connected.
                        Time will tell be we are up and running again and looking to get an IVA date.
                        Thanks for all your suggestions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: M52TU Alterantives

                          Hopefully you have the problem sorted , but in case you need further assistance this may be of interest to you.
                          Digital Tuning Solutions ,Unit 7, Rossmore Factories , Rossfield Road , Ellesmere Port CH65 3BS . Tel 01244 710374 - Kyle Smith is the guy to talk to.

                          The above was recommended by a knowledgeable BMW enthusiast who just happened to be the IVA tester this afternoon.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: M52TU Alterantives

                            As Dogon has mentioned I took the lockdown special for it's IVA retest today and I would be lying if I said I wasn't relieved that it passed. I will try to compose a detailed item for Pitstop in the near future to alleviate some of the trepidation surrounding the IVA test which I found OK. Thanks to Alan for keeping me company on both occasions.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: M52TU Alterantives

                              Congratulations David. Looking forward to seeing it soon. Liz & Doug

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X