If you are an existing member and your password is not working or has expired click here enter your email address then click on "Forgot password"

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

If you have questions please use the Contact Page for a personal response

If you wish to contribute to our discussions then please consider joining the club - its a mere £18 per year and worth every penny!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roadster with Alpha twin cam engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster with Alpha twin cam engine

Spotted on Car and Classic website. https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1508365

Don't think I have ever seen a Roadster with an Alfa twin Cam before. Does anyone know anything about this particular car? Reg Q644HAC

Robin
    Last edited by martinclan56; 07-10-22, 10:15 AM. Reason: spolling

Re: Roadster with Alpha twin cam engine

I'd seen that one. I think it was up for sale back in August at a lower price.

I would be nervous about the gearbox playing up; I am told parts are hard to find and expensive.

Other than that, nice looking car.
    Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 07-10-22, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
      I'd seen that one. I think it was up for sale back in August at a lower price.

I would be nervous about the gearbox playing up; I am told parts are hard to find and expensive.

Other than that, nice looking car.
      Ok thanks. So probably not worth the asking price then.
      I don't suppose you remember what the previous price was? I have been looking arround for sometime but don't recall seeing that particular car.

Cheers, Robin

PS - Yes I know it's alFa and not AlPHA. The auto spelling thingy has a lot to answer for :-)
      Last edited by martinclan56; 07-10-22, 10:16 AM.

Comment

It was on FB at £3,600: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2444...search/?q=alfa

I almost made a comment about autocorrect but held back

Comment

Thanks for that. Useful to see the original add and know what the guy paid for it.
          Cheers, Robin

Comment

For information, I fitted an Alfa twin cam in my Roadster which I no longer have. In my case the engine was mated to a Ford Type 9 gearbox via a suitable adaptor plate. There are a number of companies supplying old Alfa spares but I agree that gearbox parts would be expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
              For information, I fitted an Alfa twin cam in my Roadster which I no longer have. In my case the engine was mated to a Ford Type 9 gearbox via a suitable adaptor plate. There are a number of companies supplying old Alfa spares but I agree that gearbox parts would be expensive.
              Thanks for the info. May I ask:
              What is your opinion of the Alfa engine?
              And why did you fit the Ford box?
              Cheers Robin

Comment

Its a well proven engine with a reasonable output (c. 130bhp) considering its age and good torque because its a long stroke engine. It also looks very good in the car but that obviously is a personal opinion. The reasons I fitted the Ford box are a) I already had one plus the bell housing which I had originally planned to mate to the 1.3 "A" series engine in the car to replace the Marina box and give 5 gears. b) The Alfa engine I acquired (very cheaply) came from an early Alfetta GTV which had the clutch and gearbox in a rear transaxle unit so the engine was never intended to have a gearbox attached directly. A fair amount of engineering was required to mate the two but that was part of the challenge which I enjoyed. I was also extremely pleased with the result and, in my opinion, the car drove very well.

Comment

I had the pleasure of owning Geoff's car a couple of years ago. That engine /gearbox combo was bloo--- brilliant and a credit to Geoff for the engineering. I recommissioned the car as it had stood a while in Geoff's garage since he acquired a Cabrio. In my opinion the Roadster was crying out for this engine, Reasonable power /torque [remember it's going through a Marina axle] Looks superb and has all the induction /exhaust notes you could wish for and some!

Comment

I looked at an Alfa engined roadster for sale in May of this year - not the Q reg one, but possibly the other referred to above.

It was lovely to drive, but I didn't buy it because the fragile-looking sump was too near the ground for my liking.

Comment

Does anyone know if "Geoff's car" ever found a new owner? I guess it is the one that was for sale on Facebook in April of this year.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Went to a chap in Cornwall - first name Bill/Billy I think

Comment

I mated a 1600 Alpha twin cam to a Ford five speed box. Beautiful sound, revved forever and used it for trials. Plenty of sump clearance with a belly pan.
                          It’s sold and stored somewhere. Possibly in Cornwall. XLB182G.

Comment

Working...
                          X