MARINA COIL Vs FORD PINTO COIL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARINA COIL Vs FORD PINTO COIL ?

Just fitted a 2lt Pinto SOHC engine with a Bosch dizzy,alternator ect in replace of a Marina 1800 B-series engine. I have used the same std Marina wiring harness apart from altering the wiring lengths to fit the various componants around the engine ie oil switch, temp sender, startor wiring leads. Does anyone know if i need to change the std Marina coil as i have heard it is to do with a ballast resistor ? that is used on the ford wiring system for starting voltage !!!.

cheers..........Bob

Re: MARINA COIL Vs FORD PINTO COIL ?

Early Pinto engines had a ballast resistor wire built in to the wiring loom. This was bridged during engine start to give the coil a bit more voltage. As the wire got old it could sometimes cause running problems after the engine had started OK.

These coils were at about 7v nominal operating voltage (on my engine). you could get away with a buying a 12v coil for your engine but if you have a Ford supplied ignition module (ie no contact breaker/points) then take advice.

If you are using the old Ford coil then you will need an after market ballast resistor and a relay to bridge the resistor during start.
    I don't know the best option. If you have after market electronic ignition then staying with the 12v item would be OK I reckon.
    My Berli, at the moment, has Lumenition and the ballast resistor. The starter solenoid in this case has an extra terminal for the ballast resistor bridge thus no extra relay required.

I hope that some of this has helped!
    Good luck.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Re: MARINA COIL Vs FORD PINTO COIL ?

Message originally posted by: smurf
      have a look in the Burton catalogue.Its very good at explaining things like ballast resistors.

Comment

Working...
      X