Clicking rear new Facet fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking rear new Facet fuel pump

Recently my Facet rear fuel pump failed so had to buy a new one, it has been on the car since 2005 when I build it. So going through my build records found that it was a Silver top Facet cylindrical model. So purchased a new one from Pumpsonline, it arrived and fitted it whilst I also changing all the hoses to ethanol proof.
    Started the car up and all ok, but the pump started to produce an audible click which was noticeable from outside of the car.
    I contacted Facet technical in Staines and was told the following :- since 2010 the switching inside the pump was changed to solid state from points due to EU regulations and unfortunately resulted in this clicking sound.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

mines the same changed cylinder type facet to square type facet and it ticks all the time

Comment

The square type solid state Facet pump I fitted to my old Roadster ticked all the time although you couldn't hear it over the engine noise. I suppose we are used to the older pumps which stopped clicking once the float chamber was full.

Comment

i fitted one to my Berlinetta last year and that ticked loud. almost like a knocking noise, i mounted it on rubber washer which helped a bit..
        4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
          i fitted one to my Berlinetta last year and that ticked loud. almost like a knocking noise, i mounted it on rubber washer which helped a bit..
          Those Facet pumps are usually mounted on rubber “cotton reel” bobbins, with an earth wire across the threads to preserve electrical continuity. CBS sell them. Link below. Peter.

Comment

The old SU electric pumps would chatter like a parliament of magpies when you were low on fuel - ah , the good old days!

Comment

My new facet pump sounds like it is full of gravel, exactly the same as the older one it replaced (thought there was a broken impeller- obviously not). Very annoying but hoping it will quieten down once board, carpet, and tub are all installed.
              my slight worry is air trapped or the noise is cavitation caused by more pumping power than fuel can be drawn....

Comment

I am now on my third Facet silver top, and they have all clicked. Clicking only stops when they are broken! I usually turn on the ignition and wait for the clicks to slow down before cranking over, as starting is much easier with a bit of fuel pressure.
                Dave

Comment

I use a red top square facet pump to fill a one litre swirl pot. It is noisy at first but when the swirl pot is full the pump's vibrations are quieter. Fuel circulates all the time as the swirl pot sends excess fuel back to the tank.
                  The pump has been fitted since 2008 and seems OK after about 25000 miles. I regularly fit a new inlet filter to it every annual service.
                  I have a button switch and a flip-flop relay system that allows the pump to fill the swirl pot without switching on the ignition. After a long lay off this makes sure that the HP pump always has a supply of fuel. The switch and relay are wired into the "Aux" setting of the ignition switch.
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                  X