Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 petrol damage to fuel line

Just saw this on another forum and thought it worth sharing
    Apparently on a Porsche 944 337235785_545078064435250_8091018647558777662_n.jpg

I had issues with my fuel lines breaking down on the Sportster in 2019, not as terrible as what you;ve got in that photo but still fell to bits. It went just as I was coming out the driveway so everything was cold and I could push it back in to fix it. Replaced everything with ethonol rated hose:

BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
    http://www.modelog.co.uk/
    http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Up at the Shetland Classic Car show my Berli dropped fuel from the 15mm pipe from the swirl pot to the HP pump. The landlady at the B&B was not happy as she had just recently renewed the tarmac drive! The armoured pipe had rotted internally - probably due to previous use of E10. I had to search out a new hose from an outlet in Lerwick to make a repair. Once home I replaced all hoses with new, correctly marked, hoses. signs of rot were apparent in some of the old hoses. I only use the super fuels now. in winter, when I don't use the car so much I add an additive to stabilise the fuel. This subject has been brought up many times in the past on this and classic car web sites. The only answer is to replace all pipes, hoses and seals with new items which are labelled as coping with E10. There is a selection of fuel additives that are purported to preserve fuel systems available in many outlets such as Opie Oils. Take note that lawn mowers and other small engined machines suffer from aged E10 too. I drain them all if they are not to be used for over one month.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I stick to the super fuels as well. I don't know how true this is but a friend of mine who owns a classic Porche said that in some areas ESSO superunleaded has no ethanol in it...
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
          I stick to the super fuels as well. I don't know how true this is but a friend of mine who owns a classic Porche said that in some areas ESSO superunleaded has no ethanol in it...
          From ESSO's own website

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is ethanol-free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol.
          Best Wishes
          Bill Williams
          Berlinetta

[/COLOR]Click here for The nearest thing I have to a home page

Comment

Working...
          X