Berlinetta floor thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta floor thickness

Hi as I'm rebuilding my belinetta it turns out I've binned the old rotten floors, I don't suppose anyone knows the original floor thickness do they please.

1/2 inch comes to mind
    4th Marlin owner

Comment

Dave
      just been in garage and tried to measure it best I can, as Terry says it seams to be 1/2”
      Ensure you use exterior grade marine ply and give it a good soaking with wood preservative
      especially any sawn edges.
      daveh

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

When I re-built my old Roadster I replaced the floor with 12mm marine ply but also bonded a thin (0.5mm) sheet of aluminium to the underside first to give extra protection. It seemed like a good idea at the time but may have been a bit over the top.

Comment

Not heard of that one. It was advisable to fit aluminium sheet to the floor above the exhaust to act as a hear shield.

Comment

I still have the original floor in my Berli. It is 15mm marine ply and over the last 35 years has soaked up lots of the disgusting black Waxoyl that I reapply regularly. The wood is in excellent condition and has not become soggy or delaminated by the Waxoyl. It just makes working underneath a rather mucky business.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, went for 18mm ply in the end, and going to line under the boards with alloy sheet

Comment

Working...
                X