Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do about ancient brake callipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about ancient brake callipers?

I need to overhaul or replace my brake calipers. I think there are 3 options.

1. Overhaul them myself. On previous cars this has been the preffered choice as original is nearly always best. But the fact that the car hasn't moved for 30+ years could mean they are corroded beyond repair? There was certainly no brake fluid left in the system...
    2. Get them overhauled by Big Red. The most expensive option.
    3. Replace then with type 14 callipers as used on the Spitfire. I realise the brake line connection is in a different place but as I am replacing all the brake lines that probably doesn't matter. There are plenty of sellers of these callipers but I guess none of them are original Girling and may be of suspect quallity?

Thoughts anyone? Cheers, Robin​

Just finished fighting with mine! Without doubt go for replacement Type 14. £45 a 'pop' on the 'Bay'. The seals/pistons cost me £22 plus a monumental struggle to get the old pistons out.
    I ended up welding a piece of strip to them and pulling out with G cramps. Nobody makes sub standard brake callipers.!

Comment

Its always preferable if you intend overhauling calipers to leave them in situ and use the hydraulics to push the pistons out. I've managed even bad ones with cycle stirrup pump as long as you can get a good seal on the connection

Comment

Check Pitstop 231. Keith Holding had originals for sale at a very sensible price. In all probability sold but worth asking.

PS I had to resort to the new copies when I bought my latest Roadster and you're right, the quality isn't as good.
        Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 28-03-23, 02:10 PM.

Comment

ANG on ebay have most the parts to rebuild your calipers.

If you can't find what you want on ebay give them a bell as the have thousands of items but find it hard to put all kit up on ebay.

It's run by a husband and wife team.

AMG have Girling Calipers, only showing one side at the moment but as mentioned give them a bell.

I've used them numerous times and the quality is good.

Regards

Adrian
          Last edited by listerjp2; 28-03-23, 06:17 PM.

Comment

M539 on YouTube had an interesting bit on rebuilding a two part 4 piston brembo caliper - he struggled a lot getting the pistons out:

BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
            http://www.modelog.co.uk/
            http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Hi Robin. I rebuilt mine this month using a Big Redd kit off ebay for pistons and seals & new brake nipples that cost £30. I then painted them with stove enamel black that is good for upto 650 degrees C. It took about a day and a half to do .

Comment

Attached Files
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice one

Adrian

Comment

Or these might be interesting

Bring your classic car brakes up to modern standards with our UK manufactured Triumph Spitfire Mk3 Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Kit. Bolt-on replacement with no modification. Extensively tested to ensure optimum performance.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      ANG on ebay have most the parts to rebuild your calipers.

If you can't find what you want on ebay give them a bell as the have thousands of items but find it hard to put all kit up on ebay.

It's run by a husband and wife team.

AMG have Girling Calipers, only showing one side at the moment but as mentioned give them a bell.

I've used them numerous times and the quality is good.

Regards

Adrian
                      Good shout, I used them for the TR6 servo and master cylinder to complete the dual circuit conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                        Lovely...but the price

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                          Hi Robin. I rebuilt mine this month using a Big Redd kit off ebay for pistons and seals & new brake nipples that cost £30. I then painted them with stove enamel black that is good for upto 650 degrees C. It took about a day and a half to do .
                          That gives me some hope :-)
                          I managed to get the bleed nipple and brake line connection out today. Tomorrow I'll try removing the pistons. Watch this space.....
                          Cheers Robin

Comment

Robin , it is recommended not to split the 2 halves of the Calliper although the Bid Redd Kit does include those seals also. I got my pistons out without splitting them.

The way I got the pistons out is as follows: Find a 3/8" Unf bolt and a ball bearing e.g. from a cycle hub. Remove all the rubber dust boots from around the pistons Using a syringe or small funnel , fill through the brake nipple hole and brake pipe holes with water, replace the nipple and place the ball bearing down the hole where the pipe went and lighly tighten the bolt onto it.

Get a strong G clamp and compress each piston in turn so they are rocking in and the other out a bit. It will take 5-8 goes at that. If they won't move . Place on the gas hob and heat up with the G clamp on one of them and you will hear the pistons creak as they start to move. When it gets hot enough the water will boil and force the piston out.
                            Wear Goggles and have an old coat on so you don't get scalded if the piston flies out.

The reason I recommend using water is that the pistons can fly out suddenly and spray your kitchen with fluid . At least water won't damage like brake fluid . The second piston if it was moveable can be blown out with 115psi using your air compressor.

I did also see a method on youtube that using a cartridge grease gun you undo the flexi pipe and make up using a suitable threaded fitting onto the grease gun with some brake pipe and the other fitting is a 3/8" /UNF. Fill with water and you can pump the pistons off the car.
                            However as we are only doing this once , I used the heating up of the callipers above.

Comment

If it takes that much work to get them apart I would get them crack tested before proceeding to renovate them. Also don't be scared of splitting them we always had to do that to convert from solid to vented disks, so long as you have new o-rings it should not be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X