Historic Vehicle Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Vehicle Status

I would like to get the Marlin Roadster I am rebuilding declared as a "Historic Vehicle". Mainly, in the future, to avoid paying the road fund license.
    On the V5 it is a Morris Marlin first registered in 1972. No mentions of being a "kit built from parts" or whatever is the phrase normally used.

Is it simply a matter of going to the Post Office with the V5? As far as I understand it doesn't need a current MOT as long as I complete a V112 MOT Exemption and declare the car as type "r". Type "r" is a vehicle, other than a public service vehicle, registered or manufactured over 40 years ago and not substantially changed in the last 30 years. Both of which my car conforms to.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Cheers, Robin

Robin, yes, just fill in the change of class with "Historic Vehilcle" and take to PO. You will need to have a current MOT to do it though as you can't get the exemption until it's classed as Historic. Catch 22.
    Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 31-03-23, 12:13 PM.

Comment

From the Government's guidance:

In addition if a vehicle (including a motorcycle):
      • has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix; or
      • is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle; or
      • is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance; or
      • is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of the vehicle;

it will be considered to have been substantially changed and will not be exempt from MOT testing. However if any of the four above types of vehicle is taxed as an “historic vehicle” and has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it can be considered as a VHI.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
        Robin, yes, just fill in the change of class with "Historic Vehilcle" and take to PO. You will need to have a current MOT to do it though as you can't get the exemption until it's classed as Historic. Catch 22.
        Ah - understood. Catch 22 indeed.

Comment

Hi all,
          Several people have stated that to get a non-Q plated vehicle (eg: Roadster) classified as Historic, you need an initial MOT. I’m going to challenge that interpretation from what I can read on the DVLA WEBSITE.. see attached picture.

It states that to apply for Historic Vehicle Status you need to take to a PO:

1. Logbook
          2. Tax reminder if you have one
          3. An MOT … OR .. Vehicle tax exemption application form V112
          4. insurance certificate

So I would agree with the above advice if it read “MOT AND a V112” , but that word OR is to me hugely significant.

V112 seems easy to prefill, just requiring a few simple details and a signature.

People experience may be to the contrary, this is just my interpretation of what I read on the DVLA SITE.

Please note, would always advise an MOT anyway for safety reasons !

Any experience to the contrary?

all the best .. Richard
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by 928cdu; 23-06-23, 06:01 AM.
          Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
          Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Sadly, does not apply to kit cars. The official guidance guidance above makes it clear that a kit car cannot be exempt from MOT testing unless it is already taxed as an "historic vehicle". If you had, say, an old classic mini you could use the V112.

Happy to be proven wrong.

( Source; https://assets.publishing.service.go...e-guidance.pdf )

PS I should point out this is from actual experience of changing mine to Historic.
            Last edited by jon_wilkinson; 23-06-23, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Hi all, ok I’m not disagreeing with the conventional wisdom, but all I can say is my experience.

My car is registered as a Marlin and does not have Q plate, MOT expired during the pandemic almost at the same time it became 40.

I talked to DVLA mid morning gave them my reg details and they said to do the following:

take the v5 with the word HISTORIC written in the CHANGE OF VEHICLE TAX CLASS box. To a post office

Plus Valid insurance.

Also form v112 MOT exemption pre filled

My v5 was sent of to the DVLA free of charge, will be returned with updated tax class.

I got a years tax at zero cost.

Took two minutes !

Another post office earlier in the day did not have a clue what to do, so I think there is much inconsistency in the system, and also the way that Cars were registered in the 70s and 80s varied tremendously.. many owners have been running their newer cars for years as historic as the year of first registration date was that of the donor on the v5. My donor was 1963, but my date of registration was 1981 ! My suggestion is do what I did above and see how it goes, I will get an MOT soon anyway for safety reasons, but this gives me the chance of getting her running better with a few legal test drives.

PS: Car has not been modified in the last 30 years.
              Last edited by 928cdu; 23-06-23, 03:53 PM.
              Triumph Herald 1200 based Roadster
              Bought in 1983 as a running restoration

Comment

Working...
              X