Sun Visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Visors

At last! Keeping the sun out of our eyes. Devil of a job drilling the roll-bar, so gave up and fitted (temporary) brackets with double-sided sticky. If they work well, I’ll replace ‘em with polished chrome/stainless ones epoxied to the frame. First impressions very good idea, especially with the low April sunshine.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Hi Colin. To drill the stainless capping use a cobalt steel twist drill. Slow speed with a heavy feed to avoid the stainless work hardening. Machinemart in Exeter sell them. A high speed steel tap worked for me as the thread only goes through a few thous of stainless, then you are into the mild steel frame. Peter.

Comment

Every time I drive into a low sun with the peak of my cap as low as I can get it I think I must fit visors. Yours look very neat. May I ask where you got them or did you make them from scratch?

Comment

MOC Web-Admin, please remove if inappropriate advertising

Geoff,
        I searched the Internet & Flea-Bay etc. for quite a while before I found anything that looked reasonable, both mechanical or price.

These guys sell several different colours and two styles; the shaped ones that I have and the square ones as per Peters V8.
        Peter recommended Grey, and I have a feeling the orange / yellow (Night-Vision)? Are actually illegal. Note price is each!

BTW, My ‘Lotus-Eating’ mate says I’ve put them on the wrong way round, anyone got an opinion?

Hopefully the image says it all.:-
        IMG_0888.jpg
        Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

Thanks for that. Since my post I was told that a Roadster owner also fitted the 'square' ones from the same supplier. Personally I prefer the ones with the rounded corner like yours. As for fitting them the wrong way round, unless they look different when looked through from either side I wouldn't have thought it mattered but I'm open to correction.

Comment

Colin. The smoked acrylic is the same both ways around. I think your friend probably means the hinges are the “wrong way around”. As per my recent email the Hunter needs the hinges on top so that the visor drops down clear of the hood catches. If someone else thinks they look wrong ignore them, buy a cobalt drill, drill and tap the holes, fit the visors and enjoy driving it.

Comment

Colin
              I suspect your mate was suggesting they are each on the wrong side of the car - the cut away corner is for a rear view mirror/stem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Colin
                I suspect your mate was suggesting they are each on the wrong side of the car - the cut away corner is for a rear view mirror/stem.
                Good point Mike. I found that the non-cutaway rectangular shape worked for me. Soon after I bought the car I fitted a dipping mirror IIRC from a Fiesta, but it was the same size as the non-dipping mirror that Marlin fitted. Peter.

Comment

Sun visors now fitted. Since doing so the sun has disappeared so not yet tried them. Thanks for the recommendation Sun Visor 1.jpg Sun Visor 2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X