Tips on tensioning roadster hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on tensioning roadster hood

Recently bought my roadster and first time trying to put the hood up I can't get any tension in the hood.
    It looks like the frame need to stand further back in the car, maybe wear in the main hinge is causing the frame to fall forward.
    I think a previous owner has tried to use the blue tape to hold the frame back.
    I've searched this forum but can't find anything relevant, any help would be much appreciated.
    Couple of photos to be uploaded.

IMG_7013.jpg
    the frame

Comment

IMG_7014.jpg
      main hinge

Comment

Just wondered if its back to front but its a long time since I had a Roadster. I am sure someone will tell you what is wrong
        Liz

Comment

My hood frame isn't hinged. Uprights are a rigid fit in the sockets. Could be a "builder modification" in which case you may need to be inventive....

Comment

Some later frames were hinged. My Roadster memory, like Liz's, is from long ago.
            I hope the notes added to your pic are helpful - otherwise call me Rgds DC

IMG_7013.jpg

Length is the correct word rather than tension in the bottom note above.

Always make very certain that the cant rail at the front is properly located....it hurts when coming off at speed !
            Last edited by dcunn; 17-04-23, 09:59 AM.

Comment

This Roadster has a different hood frame but you can see the "snubbers". The straps are adjusted to hold bar A in the correct
              position, and if I remember correctly the frame always falls backwards without the hood on, useful for stowing away.

2017-05-30 1.jpg 2017-05-31 1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                This Roadster has a different hood frame but you can see the "snubbers". The straps are adjusted to hold bar A in the correct
                position, and if I remember correctly the frame always falls backwards without the hood on, useful for stowing away.

2017-05-30 1.jpg 2017-05-31 1.jpg
                Many thanks Dave, that's just the information I needed, perfect!
                Cheers John

Comment

I have this system on my Roadster. I made my straps “about” the right length with some slight slackness for easy erection, woops, and when the hood is up I push the straps sideways along the rail slightly to get good tension in the hood. The straps in DCs pics are fixed inside the body but mine fit on the outside by fitting 2 double length Lift- the-dot fasteners so the hood fastener goes on top of the strap fastener.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeicester View Post
                    I have this system on my Roadster. I made my straps “about” the right length with some slight slackness for easy erection, woops, and when the hood is up I push the straps sideways along the rail slightly to get good tension in the hood. The straps in DCs pics are fixed inside the body but mine fit on the outside by fitting 2 double length Lift- the-dot fasteners so the hood fastener goes on top of the strap fastener.
                    Yes that looks exactly how the blue straps must work on my roadster, each strap has a hole in the end to fit over the Lift-the-dot faster . I'll have a go! Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X