Wiper blade conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper blade conundrum

After spending a small fortune through trial & error finding a set of wiper arms to fit the splined tapered, mystery donor, wiper stubs; I am now faced with a need for offset or unequal wiper blades on a 7mm bayonet fixing. Is there such a beast with 3" clearance at the end furthest from the arm (I call it outboard) yet with a decent 6 or 7" inboard (towards arm)?

Thanks!

Have you considered shortening the arms?
    (I’m sure that’s what I did)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Have you considered shortening the arms?
      (I’m sure that’s what I did)
      How easy is that? The spring seems to be under a huge tension.

Comment

I used standard Sierra wheel boxes and arms: but had to shorten the arms to the length I wanted. I actually cut a section out of the straight section and welded the two parts back together in order to maintain the angle on the arm end.

Comment

The Cabrio uses the Sierra wiper mechanism, with the 'pantograph' suitable shortened. As such, the Sierra arms fit the splined tapers. Unfortunately they are too long, as are any other arms from cars with the same fitting. I know, I collected loads from scrap yards trying to find something better. I was also trying to find different cranks to improve the screen coverage, can't remember what I used in the end, but the drivers side is straight and the passenger side is cranked. The unused arms are still in the garage - free to good home!

Whatever, you need to shorten the arms. I did it by drilling out the rivet which held the flat section in the sprung section, cut off some of the flat section, redrilled, and reassembled with a small bolt. Small blades were available in Halfords - 11" I think.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I think I must have exhausted the NOS trico stock on ebay!
            I'll add wiper arms to the winter job list

Comment

It seems I've arrived a bit late to this particular party...while doing some other stuff under the bonnet, I had occasion to start the engine and accidentally nudged the wiper switch. as the bonnet was in the raised position, the drivers wiper caught on the edge of the bonnet and snapped. Not the blade, not the arm but the little plastic thing that slides onto the arm, located and secured by a tiny stud, which then clips onto the blade. I have utterly failed to find a replacement. Halfords don't do them unless you buy blades...and then they come in the box....but most are nowadays push fit into the hooky end of the wiper arm...not the same as mine. Neither of my local garages could help and neither could the two local non-Halfords motorspares shops.
              Ideally I would change the arms for the modern hooked variety, (suitably bent) as the Cabrio / Hunter has a pronounced curve on the end.
              Any thoughts most welcome!

Comment

Please send me a pic, there's an outside chance I might have one in my bits box.
                DC

Comment

Thanks Dave...I will when I collect the car from the workshop where we finished bleeding the brakes after fitting the new servo and master cylinder. I didn't fancy driving it home under the attentions of storm Ciaran with only one functioning wiper, so I can't take pictures just yet.

Comment

Wiper blades usually come with a selection of fittings to suit different arms. You could buy some blades just to get the fitting you need, and have some spare blades for when they need replacing.

Alternatively - I have a bag full of spare fittings, saved from buying blades for various cars, thinking they may come in for something. You are welcome to wharever you need, if we can identify them. Post a picture and we'll see!

Comment

Working...
                    X