Cabrio heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio heritage

i am trying to determine if the base model for my Cabrio (which was a sierra) was a hatchback (saloon) or estate, the reason for asking is the track front to back is different on the hatchback to the estate.
    i have the vin number and checked numerous web sites but they seem to want a 17 digit number and my vin is 13 digit number, anybody got a clue how i can determine it was an estate or hatchback ?
    4th Marlin owner

Are the driveshafts different lengths between the two models?

Comment

i have no idea i was just going by the dimensions of the track in the Haynes manual, i have seen elsewhere on here an article that says the cabrio has the same track front and back, so maybe marlin made the track in their cars the same front and back ?
      4th Marlin owner

Comment

As I recall, the Sierra estate rear suspension was quite different to the saloons. The Marlin build manual said that if you used an estate donor, you would need to source another rear suspension from a saloon. Therefore, your rear end is definitely from a saloon. I can't imagine anyone bothering to use an estate.

I think different driveshafts only apply to Limited Slip Differentials which were bigger. Even then there may have more than one type of LSD - I seem to think the mountings could be either 7" or 7.5" apart. I could be corrected on this!!!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave_kitson View Post
          As I recall, the Sierra estate rear suspension was quite different to the saloons. The Marlin build manual said that if you used an estate donor, you would need to source another rear suspension from a saloon. Therefore, your rear end is definitely from a saloon. I can't imagine anyone bothering to use an estate.

I think different driveshafts only apply to Limited Slip Differentials which were bigger. Even then there may have more than one type of LSD - I seem to think the mountings could be either 7" or 7.5" apart. I could be corrected on this!!!

Dave
          hi dave , thanks i seem to recall that as advice for anybody building a kit car from a sierra donor back in the day now you mention it.
          so is the marlin owners club reasonably convinced the track should be the same back and front on a cabrio, do you think ?
          4th Marlin owner

Comment

According to my Haynes manual, there was only 0.6" difference in the track between front and back. The only model difference was the P100 pickup, so the estate was the same as the saloon. I don't know where the track is measured from - centre of tyres or what?

The rear suspension is straight off the Sierra, but the front is a modified setup, so potentially some difference there. Marlin were great at supplying whatever was available, so different steering racks could have been used, etc. Visually, there is no difference on the track on my car, but there is a small difference on the width over the wings. Having said that, I had to force the front wings outwards to ensure the tyres were covered for SVA. This changed the angle of the inner wings, which meant the headlamp bar did not sit properly! The root of the problem was that the inner wings were too shallow. So what does that prove? Only that every car is different, but I think you can assume your donor was a saloon.

Comment

.interesting reply dave, thanks
              the reason for all this is i am trying to do the tracking, the reason being it pulls to the left, i have numerous ways of checking the track and they all say the same, just a bit of toe in, so my attention turned to the back to see if that was straight, or in line with the car, thats when i found it seemed to be wider at the back than the front, yes about 0.6"
              does anybody know, should the track on a cabrio be the same front and back ??
              4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
                .interesting reply dave, thanks
                the reason for all this is i am trying to do the tracking, the reason being it pulls to the left, i have numerous ways of checking the track and they all say the same, just a bit of toe in, so my attention turned to the back to see if that was straight, or in line with the car, thats when i found it seemed to be wider at the back than the front, yes about 0.6"
                does anybody know, should the track on a cabrio be the same front and back ??
                Its about 0.6” wider at the rear. The Haynes manual gives exact dimensions. I set my toe in with string stretched along the wheels. I always put a 3/8” strip of wood against the fronts to give me parallel strings.

Comment

thanks pete, sort of summed up my original question really, great, now find some string
                  4th Marlin owner

Comment

Originally posted by terryrscott View Post
                    thanks pete, sort of summed up my original question really, great, now find some string
                    I use fine white string which is easier to see. You also need two rubber bands, a six inch steel rule and four bent 3” nails. For each side the rubber bands go between two lengths of string. The ends of the string are tied to the bent nails which are hooked around the tyre. Position the string at wheel centre height so it lies along an imaginary line between the wheel centres. The piece of 3/8” wood is slipped under the string against the front sidewall of the front tyre. Use the ruler against the front and rear edges of the front rims. I set my Hunter at 0.5mm toe in, which is mid range of the Sierra spec.

If you hook the nail around the rear tyre and then keep a steady pull on the string you can usually get to the front tyre and hook the other nail around that, before the rear nail falls off! It’s an acquired skill!

Comment

looks a good plan , i shall try that.
                      4th Marlin owner

Comment

I have just learned that Cabrios have a build discrepancy where both rear wheels have toe out, usually by differing amounts but apparently near side is often more toe out than off side. Apparently there is a fix for it by shimming out the rear hub carriers . I found your post whilst looking for the written word on the procedure onthe forum as memory gets a bit foggy these days.

Comment

You will will find it was toe in not out. My Cabrio had 5mm toe in on the n/s and 2.5 o/s. I drove it for years like that but eventually settled for adjusting it to 2.5mm both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by MOC Chair View Post
                            You will will find it was toe in not out. My Cabrio had 5mm toe in on the n/s and 2.5 o/s. I drove it for years like that but eventually settled for adjusting it to 2.5mm both sides.
                            As I mentioned in a post some time ago, my ‘87 2.0GL Sierra had the same “error”. I suspect it may have been a Ford “fix” for another undisclosed problem?

Comment

Working...
                            X