Ignition Cutting Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Cutting Off

Over the last few months the Cabrio has been suffering from hiccuping and shutting off.
    The engine is from a Ford Sierra 2l GLSi.
    I have replaced the plugs, ht leads, rotor, dis cap, coil and the ignition module.
    Went out this weekend but to no avail, the hiccuping back and it shut down twice, I did notice that the electronic speedo shut down as well.
    When it shuts down the car restarts straight away when I turn the key.
    Any ideas guys

Faulty ignition switch ?

Comment

Generally the fuel and temp gauges rely on a feed from the ignition switch so, if they also shut down when the engine dies, it would suggest the ignition switch as mentioned above.

Comment

After Berli rebuild all ok for months until suddenly and total intermittent cutting out which was eventually traced to a dry solder joint on the connections of ignition switch !! Good luck

Comment

I had a similar problem with my fuel injected Cabrio 2 litre. The relay in the fuel pump circuit was intermittent. A new relay solved it. Relays aren’t expensive so worth just replacing it.

Comment

Thanks for various possible solutions, I did think it could be the relay so going to replace that as well as the fuel pump one as well. Will check the ignition switch

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for your thoughts, this what I have done and found :-
              as previously said I have replaced the spark plugs, the leads, rotor arm, cap coil and ignition module to no effect, since them I have replace the fuel pump relay as well as the ignition relay, still got the same problem.
              So left the car in the garage for the night, whet out the next day and found the battery fully flat, put the charger on and after a couple of hours I found the front and side indicators dimly lit, checked the indicator stork it was in the off position, then after a lot of head scratching the only thing I could think off was the Cobra alarm system so disconnected the permant feed and the indicators went off. The alarms cpu had shorted out.
              So I then removed the alarm system and all the wiring, took the car for a drive and all was well. Had a nice g&t that night. BUT
              Went out the next day to collect some oil filters - no problem arrived at the shop waited to be served, got back into the car and drove home hopping and skipping and cutting out all the way.
              have now checked all the wiring and connectors, it’s ok to drive but once stopped and switched off then restarted its back to hopping and skipping again.
              Any ideas greatly received

Comment

Throttle position sensor? The rheostat segments inside can become a bit dirty and make intermittent contact. Mark the position it is set to then remove it and work the spindle back and forth a few times.

Comment

Does this have conventional ignition, ie not electronic? If so I would check the lead inside th distributor, tiny wire. I have had exactly this and the advance/retard wa pulling the continuity apart.

Comment

Have now order a throttle position sensor and Rhysnolan it is electronic ignition

Comment

I had cutting out problems on my V8 efi Hunter a few years ago but unlike your symptoms the engine was also often difficult to start again ( no starter or solenoid actuation). I replaced the ignition switch but with no improvement. I then removed the battery, which is in the boot, and found that the earth terminal clamp had almost melted away. The reason was that the clamp secured the cable with two screws and these were only clamping on two strands of wire! The resultant high resistance caused the wires to heat up enough to melt the cheapo clamp metal.

Cutting the cable back and using a new clamp solved the problem.

While chasing another unrelated fault I replaced my OE carbon track throttle pot with a Colverne one. They are a Hall Effect type and avoid the nasty carbon track issues. Although it didn’t solve the actual problem I feel happier knowing that another potential source of future problems has been avoided. Peter.

Comment

Hi all, after reading all your comments, I have now also replaced the throttle sensor, the ignition switch and battery and all had gone well.
                        went today for the MOT, it passed but, on the way home it started hiccup again but not so badly. On load it seems ok as on slowing down. If I just drive at steady speed it then starts hiccuping, any new ideas?

Comment

That sounds like a fuel problem. When was the fuel filter last replaced, (on the Sierra it was a metal canister after the fuel tank at the rear of the car)? There will also be a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, check the vacuum diaphragm is operational

Comment

Thanks Ye Old Ripper, the fuel system was completely replaced during last winter, that is both low and high pressure fuel pumps, the canister fuel filter and all the hoses back and front are now E10 compatable.

Comment

Have you checked the wiring loom to the ignition/fuel injection components. While the engine is idling pull the loom back and forth to check if it stumbles. The wires will be 30-35 years old if you are using the Ford loom.

Comment

Working...
                              X