Q 147DDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q 147DDC

Bringing this across to where it belongs! (moderators I am happy if you wish to modify or delete my earlier post)
    While the car has been in long term storage after the passing of the builder, it's only in recent times that it has been outside, so it doesn't need a whole lot, but I will be doing possibly more than needed, because I think it should be.
    The history of the car as given to me by the son of the builder is that it was built from the family owned and running (but rotting) Marina TC, hence, at that time the mechanicals were a known quantity.
    I will be immediately putting Superflex bushes SF234 0669K (thanks Jon for the lead), starter coming off tomorrow for a look see.
    Brake hoses will be replaced by braided hoses, I have a man locally who is good, economic, and great to chat with. Check over the rest of the braking system, boots, linings, pads, discs etc and then new fluid.
    New tyres.
    Lanoguard the underside
    Tidy up the wiring
    Replace all fuel hoses
    Probably tank out and clean/coat the inside.
    Wiring check.
    Replace all remaining fluid, engine, diff, gearbox.
    MOT!
    That's the plan anyway, the best laid plans???

If you aint got a plan how do you know when it went belly up? It sounds like a good plan . If the starter is not working check the brushes, I have just replaced the second set, the plastic holders broke up. The battery may not be brilliant and the old 1800 can take a bit of stirring into life. Good luck and enjoy

Comment

Well, as there have been comments that it's quiet
      As you would expect I have found more stuff so the wheels have fallen off the "plan".
      I did discover the sump to be well battered, so I took that off and beat it out, and put back with a new gasket.
      I am waiting for a new clutch slave cylinder, the cost to resleeve is almost the same as a brand new one (not new old stock) so £62 including postage. I have a suspicion that I will have to pull the motor to check the clutch and fork, but for now fingers crossed.
      The starter is now back from the auto electrician and been checked. He said no dismantling needed, just a very good clean up so that earth should be good. It's back in the car.
      Saturday saw me having a look at the wiring behind the dash. Why? Because the dash wasn't bolted in and I felt like having a look. More surprises. The bundle of excess wiring is held in place with orange baling twine. I guess that cable ties were a bit rare back in 1986 when the car was built! Now I am contemplating whether to cut and rejoin myriads of wires! It would save quite a bit of weight and mess!
      The underbonnet wiring is "interesting". The wire to one side of the coil is just twisted to the termiinal. Easy to sort, but I didn't have the gear with me where the car is right now.
      I am also waiting for a bottom radiator hose to arrive, the top one is OK, but bottom was as hard as the hobs of.. Radiator may get some love before next summer, I need to figure how the front cowl comes off, the build manual isn't that helpful.
      The new seats are fabulous, thanks the 2 Daves, one for selling, the other for the delivery service.
      Next on the list to buy, new calipers to replace the two I have. Both seized and not a pair.
      As well as all that the payment for a "hit and run" on my body is delayed so the piggy bank is somewhat depleted for now.
      Any ideas on making the double duck hood look better?

Comment

I've used Carbusonic CFB511 Black Canvas Dye. You just paint it on with a brush.

My canvas tonneau was a very light grey.

So far so good.

Adrian

Comment

Thanks Rhys

Comment

I suppose it's progress! The new clutch cylinder has arrived. Proper job as they say, and the folks at Power Track could not be more helpful. They also found a new old stock brake caliper to match the one I have so I now have a pair, both to be sent off for a birthday. While this one is "new" they have said it should be done, so I will. £35 for that caliper.
            I think while I am in this mood there will be a better earth strap too. Cheap enough to do and not difficult, so why not?
            Just had a message to say that after 6 months I finally get to see someone in the medical profession tomorrow! for attention following the hit and run! That might stop me for a bit!

Comment

Not one new earth strap, I need 2! Medical issue unresolved.

Comment

Does anybody know if the bottom radiator hose has different versions, 1800 motor.

Comment

May depend which radiator was used. Builder may not have used a Marina radiator. As they are individuals, i.e. kits, there is no standard build. Some used Viva's. Its a long time since I owned a Roadster, 18 years, so can't remember more details
                  Liz

Comment

I am pretty sure the 1800 marina bottom hose never changed. What does yours look like? I have a new old stock hose if you want to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
                      I am pretty sure the 1800 marina bottom hose never changed. What does yours look like? I have a new old stock hose if you want to compare.
                      Thanks both of you, it certainly looks as though from photos that a standard one should work. Mine was mangled and modified. A company called Classic Car Spares on Ebay just became abusive when I asked questions, and stated that a US market version is different.
                      The build manual just says "standard radiator hoses should be used".
                      Next question, as 1275 Marina hoses are available, does anyone know what difference they are? Photos look the same as 1800.

Comment

Next question!!!
                        Has anybody taken the time and effort to eliminate some of the bulk of a standard Marina wiring loom? Maybe that would be better for next winter!
                        I now have a PAIR of calipers, thanks to Powertrack, and they are going off to be rebuilt by Classiccar Automotive for £53 +VAT in Chelford.

Comment

Yes I have...and I suggest it's better you put the car on the road to enjoy, then think about next winters tasks

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                            Yes I have...and I suggest it's better you put the car on the road to enjoy, then think about next winters tasks
                            Can I contact you directly for a chat?

Comment

Don't be offended, but not at this time.

To help you with wiring look at this thread : https://marlinownersclub.com/forum/node/5702

I made up a simplified wiring diagram for a Roadster which should help you, and as mentioned in
                              the thread, print it large to help you see !

It is a modified and simplified version of the BL manual one

Comment

Working...
                              X