Steering rack - oil or grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack - oil or grease?

Hi - what do people recommend for the Marina Steering rack - I believe its meant to be oil

But back in the day I think Minis used "grease" - and modern racks appear to use grease for lubrication and power steering fluid for the hydraulica

It was designed to use oil, although I believe some people have used grease. If you have stripped and rebuilt it, as I did, it can be difficult making it "oil tight" afterwards.

Comment

Oil is what I always used

Comment

Semi liquid grease was recommended to me and it worked really well. EBay has it

Spheerol EPL Range The Spheerol EPL range comprises general purpose greases designed for plant wide lubrication. While topping up the oil at that frequency may be annoying and possibly expensive, there is generally nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by philmcgrath View Post
          Semi liquid grease was recommended to me and it worked really well. EBay has it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174764207...mis&media=COPY
          Thanks for the tip. I've always used standard grease.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I used oil in mine as per the Haynes manual instructions. My recently replaced rebuilt Steering Rack was supplied with oil. However as most other steering racks have grease versus oil, then I can't see use of either being a problem.

Comment

Working...
            X