Quiet here innit !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet here innit !

Seems awfully quiet on this site these days.

Apart from martinclan56 does no one else have any build/rebuild to share with us ?

I don't have the time as I'm always driving my little Roadster.

Adrian

Comment

When I write I get very little response!

Comment

Possibly due to a fair number of members of an age whereby tinkering has lost it's appeal. I intend to keep going until they screw the lid down!

Comment

Originally posted by rhysnolan View Post
          When I write I get very little response!
          Sorry I don't respond, it's not that I am not interested, I am.

So please keep going, I look ever day for updates.

And try to help where I can.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
            Possibly due to a fair number of members of an age whereby tinkering has lost it's appeal. I intend to keep going until they screw the lid down!
            Me to

Comment

I think it's true of many forums (fora?). A lot of activity has moved across to social media with a new generation of owners. The Facebook enthusiast group sees new posts most days.

Comment

Haven't contributed much for a while & I'll admit my Marlin mojo has gone on extended leave...not helped recently when I pulled the head to investigate above normal coolant loss/oil consumption/periodic smoking habit to find this under the thermostat cover...oddly, oil & water both appeared fine but have seemingly been getting together where they can't be seen. Only 2.5k on a rebuilt lump.

No obvious smoking gun when it comes to the (Payen) head gasket but the block is now in need of refacing plus the head will obviously need testing & skimming or replacing if cracked.

20230819_122901 (1) (Small).jpg
                Bugger...
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Moving on, I wonder if part of the issue could be the upgraded forum software...it used to be very easy to see new posts & threads on a single screen using the Activity Stream option...but with the new version it's so much harder to see the latest activity without clicking around. Yes, you can see new threads but not as easy to see posts to existing threads without toggling filters. If you can't see it you can't engage...just a thought.
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

+ 1 ^

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                      Haven't contributed much for a while & I'll admit my Marlin mojo has gone on extended leave...not helped recently when I pulled the head to investigate above normal coolant loss/oil consumption/periodic smoking habit to find this under the thermostat cover...oddly, oil & water both appeared fine but have seemingly been getting together where they can't be seen. Only 2.5k on a rebuilt lump.

No obvious smoking gun when it comes to the (Payen) head gasket but the block is now in need of refacing plus the head will obviously need testing & skimming or replacing if cracked.

20230819_122901 (1) (Small).jpg
                      Bugger...
                      If oil and water generated that I would expect something softer, more like the usual mayonnaise. That all looks a bit crystalline. Has someone been mixing anti freeze types?

Comment

Nope...standard bluecol antifreeze...not changed since rebuild and rad re-cored at the same time.

Comment

Yep, quiet it is, and folks don't answer questions to help much either. I am in a grumpy mood today.

Comment

There was something like that in the engine in my rebuild. The water had largely evaporated ( it had been in storage some 30 years ) and left behind what I assumed was crystallised antifreeze.

Comment

If you have had a leak and the coolant has boiled you might get crystals evaporating out of solution into an air pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X