Marina based 1.3 roadster - Angle Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina based 1.3 roadster - Angle Drive

Has anyone tried using an angle drive to connect the speedo cable to the gearbox.

If so which one and where did you get it.

Fed up with replacing broken speedo cables due to acute angle it exits the gearbox.

Adrian

Don't have an answer sorry. But if it's always breaking wouldn't it just be easier to fit an electronic speedo? they work with a sensor - often on the propshaft. No cables to break!
    Cheers, Robin

Comment

Agreed Robin but I am trying to retain the existing marina dials as I have taken a lot of time and trouble to get them to work properly.

Adrian

Comment

I fitted one to my Roadster although it was to a Ford type 9 gearbox. I got it from Westfield but I'm not sure if they are still going.

Comment

Hi Adrian, I've seen some Roadster that run the cable through the side of the tunnel and under the carpet. In my son's car a previous owner had cut a fair size hole in the tunnel side to allow the cable a greater radius. Trouble is that it was then only covered by the carpet! I guess they thought as it was resident in Spain for many a year it didn't matter.
          I formed a glass fibre cover to cover said hole secured to tunnel side with rivnuts and stainless socket screws so allowing future access if needed. Original carpet was retained since I'd made the cover as shallow as possible but still allowing the cable to form a reasonable curve.

Comment

When Liz had a Roadster, I managed to reshape the side of the tunnel slightly which cured the problem.

Comment

OK, the tunnel is aluminium so I will get the blow torch out along with a pry bar and see what I can do. Wish me luck.

Comment

If you are going to use a blow torch on aluminium rub bar soap over it first. Once it turns brown the aluminium is annealed and easy to shape. Leave the blow torch on any longer and it melts!

Comment

Working...
                X