Marina Roadster - battery location and type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Roadster - battery location and type

The roadster I am rebuilding doesn't have a specific location for the battery. It was originally hung off the front bulkhead with a very crude bracket. I'd like to do something better. Passenger footwell perhaps? I wondered what others have done? Pictures would be good!

Also, as I will be using modern LED lights the battery demands should be quite low. What's the minimum amp-hour I can get away with I wonder. 40 perhaps? I will be using an alternator which will help.
    Cheers Robin

Maybe something like this would work, you can get purpose made brackets for them and they can be mounted in any orientation listerjp2 has used something like this.

Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I would avoid having a battery in the passenger compartment if possible. Keep it the other side of the bulkhead, or firewall as the US call it for obvious reasons.

Comment

Later Roadsters had a fibre glass moulding that fitted into an aperture cut into the passenger side of the firewall. This may have been introduced when YKC purchased the rights to the Roadster and Berlinetta as they also changed to galvanised steel for the firewall , transmission tunnel, floors and rear bulkhead.
        My kit [back in '92] certainly had all of the above .

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
          I would avoid having a battery in the passenger compartment if possible. Keep it the other side of the bulkhead, or firewall as the US call it for obvious reasons.
          I would agree with a conventional battery.
          But the suggested one is AGM and therefore non spill. You can even mount it upsidedown (allegedly). If it is fixed correctly and fused correctly I can't see what the problem is. But I am more than willing to be corrected :-)

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            Maybe something like this would work, you can get purpose made brackets for them and they can be mounted in any orientation listerjp2 has used something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385701443...Bk9SR4yU3ejjYg
            That looks just the ticket. But awesomely expensive! There do seem to be some cheaper alternatives although the old addage of "buy cheap buy twice" probably applies...
            Last edited by martinclan56; 12-10-23, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
              Later Roadsters had a fibre glass moulding that fitted into an aperture cut into the passenger side of the firewall. This may have been introduced when YKC purchased the rights to the Roadster and Berlinetta as they also changed to galvanised steel for the firewall , transmission tunnel, floors and rear bulkhead.
              My kit [back in '92] certainly had all of the above .
              Yes - I have seen those. Unfortunately I don't have that moulding, although I do have steel bulkheads....

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post

That looks just the ticket. But awesomely expensive! There do seem to be some cheaper alternatives although the old addage of "buy cheap buy twice" probably applies...
                Reach out to Adrian Bull he's on the Marlin Facebook group, he's been using one for a few years now so has experience on how to fit them etc.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Surely not to difficult for a man of your talents to manufacture!

Comment

Originally posted by A_Hogg View Post
                    Surely not to difficult for a man of your talents to manufacture!
                    Your right I probably could - just trying to not re-invent the wheel. Again :-)

PS having mulled it over for a few days, it takes a while for me to make a decision nowadays, I think I will go the PC680 battery route. It's only about 30amp hours but the CCA is quite good if I choose one of the better (more expensive) versions. And as it is pretty small, it leaves a lot more options open for the mounting position.
                    Last edited by martinclan56; 15-10-23, 10:17 AM. Reason: Postscript

Comment

Your right I probably could - just trying to not re-invent the wheel. Again :-)

PS having mulled it over for a few days, it takes a while for me to make a decision nowadays, I think I will go the PC680 battery route. It's only about 30amp hours but the CCA is quite good if I choose one of the better (more expensive) versions. And as it is pretty small, it leaves a lot more options open for the mounting position.
                      I've had one in my Roadster for four years now, no problems and allowed me to place the battery on its side. You can even have it upside down.

Recommend this option.

20180628_164010.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures! I am even more convinced this is tge best solution now.

Comment

20180628_163956.jpg
                          Just a note, didn't bother with the glove compartment as it was next to useless anyway and therefore to give me the space required for the battery on the bulkhea
                          d, I moved the windscreen wiper motor and fixed it to the rear of the dashboard. This also takes out the horrible bend needed for the wiper connecting tube if you follow the build instructions.
                          Last edited by listerjp2; 19-10-23, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                            20180628_163956.jpg
                            Just a note, didn't bother with the glove compartment as it was next to useless anyway and therefore to give me the space required for the battery on the bulkhea
                            d, I moved the windscreen wiper motor and fixed it to the rear of the dashboard. This also takes out the horrible bend needed for the wiper connecting tube if you follow the build instructions.
                            I wondered where the ww motor was!
                            Interesting gear lever extension. Much better than the " bend it to reach it". How did you do that?

Comment

I wondered where the ww motor was!
                              Interesting gear lever extension. Much better than the " bend it to reach it". How did you do that?
                              Follow this link

https://marlinownersclub.com/forum/f...8&d=1508143552

The detent which you have to lift over to get reverse is basically a piece of metal that is bolted into the side of the gearbox. I got a longer bolt reamed off the centre part on the thread, found a suitable spring with just enough tension so that I couldn't put the gear stick into reverse by mistake and locktighted a bolt on the end. This now means you can push the detent out of the way for reverse and the spring returns it to the original position. Now you can extend as per picture. Has been working fine for 4 years.

Adrian
                              Last edited by listerjp2; 19-10-23, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X