Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Side Screens

Hi all,
    Does anybody own a set of YKC rigid side screens? After several attempts over the years of making my own, I was never really happy with my designs and I am now looking at making something on the lines of the YKC ones. There is a PDF file within the forum which shows these side screens but the two pictures don't give much away and the instructions for the fitting of them are not entirely clear. The key to these screens is the quarter light and how it is made and how it is attached to the main windscreen surround and how the side screen is then attached to the quarter light, so if anyone has a set and would be willing to take a few pictures to share I would be most grateful.
    Many thanks,
    Chris

Hi Chris, YKC only made these for the long wheel base cars as they were the 'standard' by then . I bought a set for my car which was a swb [YKC hadn't realised I'd got that version]
    so they didn't charge me for them . The quarter light is attached along it's front edge by slotting into a alloy channel secured to the windscreen frame , with the bottom edge also held by an alloy plate that was curved to follow the profile of the dashtop moulding [ the area above the doors]. The main section [ the fibreglass panel with sidescreen ] attached to the door on pins that dropped into sockets in the door top. Rubber seal between the front edge of the sidescreen and quarter light.

Comment

Further to the above - I made some rigid sidescreens for my last Roadster [ex Geof Grumble's CPY301L] following similar ideas but the sidescreen being one sheet of polycarbonate/ perspex attached to the door on stainless brackets with thumbscrews into the door so they could be removed if required. The inside top section I reinforced with more alloy channel into which the thumbscrews screwed . The quarter lights followed YKC practice .
      The only downside I found with the YKC and 'my' version was effective sealing against the hood as the top edge did want to move to outside of vehicle, otherwise OK.
      I'm not sure I've any photos but there may be something in the archives

Comment

Search for 'Wind deflectors or side screen' and you will find a post by acbluemarlin on 13th Dec 2018 with some photos of the side screens fitted to CPY. Can't be sure if they are the latest version though.

Comment

As Geoff has said -see post as above. Dave C kindly posted some photos of my versions , both the MK1 and my Mk2 . Should be clear from those how I went about it!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will have a look.!
            Regards,
            Chris

Comment

Many years ago Alan Hogg described perfect side screens on a Marlin Roadster as “the holy grail”. He wasn’t wrong. If it helps, refer to PISTOP Dec 2001/Jan 2002 where I told the story of my home made solid screens. There are drawings in the 4 page article. They still work fine for me over 20 years later albeit getting a bit tatty. The old mags are available for members to read on this website.
              Last edited by FranklinLeicester; 04-02-24, 04:49 PM.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
              X