Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triumph suspension on Marina build for IVA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph suspension on Marina build for IVA.

I first put this in the Marina section but thought it may get more views hear.

Has any one replaced the Marina front suspension with the Triumph setup to get a Marina Marlin through IVA ? Either full or partial conversion. Also I have seen pictures of Marina Marlin's with trailing link rear suspension, is there any information here about that or would it be best to adapt it from Ron Champion's book. Regards Phil

The Marina and Triumph front ends are so different that would involve major changes to the chassis. That in itself would set alarm bells ringing for the IVA testers.
    What is the problem with the Marina front suspension?
    Cheers Robin

Comment

Thanks for the reply Robin,I From the information I have picked up about getting a Marina kit through Iva, there have been problems with the castor angle, so unless there is a work around that I have not heard of I was thinking it would best to work around the problem with some thing that is known to be viable. Also In he late 1970's I had a job driving a lot of cars and the Marinas had a habit of the front end letting go, maybe it was the tyres but It left me never trusting them. Cheers phil

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
        Thanks for the reply Robin,I From the information I have picked up about getting a Marina kit through Iva, there have been problems with the castor angle, so unless there is a work around that I have not heard of I was thinking it would best to work around the problem with some thing that is known to be viable. Also In he late 1970's I had a job driving a lot of cars and the Marinas had a habit of the front end letting go, maybe it was the tyres but It left me never trusting them. Cheers phil
        Hiya, the Marlin Roadster had an upgrade which got rid of the Leyland shockers and replaced them with standard shocks. This got rid of the handling issues associated with the Marina. In actual fact the last of the Itals had a similar upgrade.

I wasn't aware that a specific caster angle was required. If you mean they check self centering then a small amount can be dialled in but I think its only 2 to 3 degrees. You could dial in more specifically for the IVA then return it after its passed.

I have lived with no self centering with both my Marlins and they handle brilliantly.

Adrian

Comment

I don't know if this would help20240121_112408.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply's

Comment

For the IVA one of the final tests they do is to drive the car. This checks, amongst other things, the self centering of the steering. I suspect that's a bit subjective and it depends on the tester.
              So it will have to exhibit some - but probably not a lot. When I put the Sportster through the then SVA, the trick I learned from other builders was to - err - slightly over inflate the tyres.
              Cheers Robin

Comment

And the other option is to use coil over dampers in place of the dampers.
                Then you can dispose of the torsion bars and the suspension is then adjustable. Several people have done this - I am sure there must be a thread on this somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the info Martin I will look into that Phil.

Comment

If anyone has information about what shocks and springs have been used in this setup it would be very helpful. I was under the impression that the setup needed the torsion bar to work for some reason I was in too minds to post this on the forum I am glade I did now. I am off Skiing for the next 10 days so I will not be able to rely to any input until I get back. Thanks for your input I am able too look at some new options now. Phil

Comment

If anyone has information about what shocks and springs have been used in this setup it would be very helpful. I was under the impression that the setup needed the torsion bar to work for some reason I was in too minds to post this on the forum I am glade I did now. I am off Skiing for the next 10 days so I will not be able to rely to any input until I get back. Thanks for your input I am able too look at some new options now. Phil
                      Nigel Cordrey has done this, I don't know if he's on the forum but he is on Facebook.

His car has been converted for some years and he's happy with it.

Adrian
                      Last edited by listerjp2; 22-01-24, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Adrian, Thanks for the information I did a search on his name and it came with the with the post on this forum dated 27-05-19. I have only had time for a quick read, there is a lot of information which i think should be put in one of the archives if possible. Cheers Phil

Comment

Hello we had gone skiing for ten days in total including driving there and back and getting caught in the farmers protest, gave me time to consider a course of action for my marlin project now I don't have to think changing the front of the car. As I had a pair of Triumph Herald shocks and springs I checked to see if they could fit in place of the existing shocks, There is space for them but when I asked if it could be modified at the top end for a eyelet fitting I could not get any information. I started a search on line for cheep coil over shocks just to do a proof of concept, I came across a pair for a quad bike which said they could go up to 1000 lb in adjustment, and they cost £45.00 the pair and the right size, got to be worth a try . I have taken one torsion bar off and fitted the spring in its place, I then jumped up and down on the front of car each side and the bounce seemed much the same both sides. I will fit the other side and see how it goes I will then check the adjustable tie bars. thanks for the information you have given me Regards Phil.

Comment

I have taken one torsion bar off and fitted the spring in its place, I then jumped up and down on the front of car each side and the bounce seemed much the same both sides. I will fit the other side and see how it goes I will then check the adjustable tie bars. thanks for the information you have given me
                            Cool. Old school car building which is what many of the visitors to this forum are experienced with
                            It would be great if you could share some pictureds?

Cheers, Robin

Comment

I'm in the middle of doing this. I'll post some pictures when I've got it set up
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                              X