HELP !! Snapped halfshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !! Snapped halfshaft

Can any one help I've snapped the drivers side half shaft on my Marina based roadster, has anyone got one or two

I have a small collection of Marina half-shafts, one of which might solve your problem Nigel. Unfortunately none are marked to indicate their previous direction of rotation which you may consider is rather a compromising factor.
    Email if I can help further - our shared email address is in Pitstop.
    John

Comment

The other option would be to have a new one made, there are a number of vendors that can make custom drive shafts. It's expensive but you could have it made thicker...
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I have a complete axle that I bought some time back that a member was keeping as a spare. Location West Midlands

Comment

Originally posted by John_Mulvaney View Post
          I have a small collection of Marina half-shafts, one of which might solve your problem Nigel. Unfortunately none are marked to indicate their previous direction of rotation which you may consider is rather a compromising factor.
          Email if I can help further - our shared email address is in Pitstop.
          John
          To identify,The nearside halfshaft thread for the hub is reverse thread( left hand thread). The offside is right handed thread

Comment

Beg to differ regarding the left- and right- handed halfshaft threads. Checking Leyland's parts listings shows 2 shafts with the same parts number being required per car. All mine are right hand threaded.
            Remember this is Triumph engineering at it's best here - not (for example) Ford!
            Memory now fails me as to where the suggestion to avoid swapping a shaft stressed one direction to the other side of the car came from, though this is possibly not as critical given the lighter weight of a Roadster - mind you Nigel as managed to snap one!
            John

Comment

Hi John , I am not 100% certain about one side( nearside)being left handed thread. However on my Marina based Marlin, the nearside nut worked loose and the only thing that stopped the wheel and hub coming off was the ridge of the inside of the drum catching on the brake shoes! I torqued it back up to the specified torque & it worked loose soon after. So I used blue thread lock and retorqued it and it has then since been ok.
              I had therefore assumed that someone had incorrectly put the shaft on the nearside, that should have been fitted on the offside?
              There wasn't a lock tab washer for the nut to retain it either?

Comment

I think I have 3, I'm not sure if I labelled the sides of the 2 I took from an axle that had been festering in the undergrowth. I rather hope I did. The other one came from a scrap yard and I'm sure I didn't record which side it came from. If you still need them they are yours for the asking as both my Marlins have 10cwt van axles. I am in Northumberland but will be coming south to Cirencester via Stratford on Avon at Easter for the Lands End trial. PM me if they would be of use. I'm not sure how important the nut is whichever way the thread goes as the hub sticks onto the taper like the proverbial and needs a press of considerable strength to shift it.
                Tony

Comment

Did I see on Facebook that it was the Diff cage that exploded? If that's the case you can either get a reconditioned diff from Rimmer Bros or Quaife still seem to make an LSD for the Marina/Ital axle which seems to be available from multiple suppliers (https://motorsport-tools.com/quaife-...ferential.html) and there is a write up on the Caterham forum that suggests that the LSD is kinder to the half shafts https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/foru...61-ital-axles/
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hi all sorry I hadn't noticed the above posts, It was the diff cage that had given in. and I have located a replacement on ebay as long as it is usable I should be up and running soon. thanks for the offers of help

Comment

If it's part of the external casing,Can you post a photo of where it failed? It would be useful for us to see the failure area& to monitor. According to the Caterham 7 community. Marina axles weren't particularly strong .

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                        If it's part of the external casing,Can you post a photo of where it failed? It would be useful for us to see the failure area& to monitor. According to the Caterham 7 community. Marina axles weren't particularly strong .
                        From the fb post it’s the centre diff box containing the bevel gears. Interestingly its the same way that some classic car diffs are failing, but those are 60 years old!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post

From the fb post it’s the centre diff box containing the bevel gears. Interestingly its the same way that some classic car diffs are failing, but those are 60 years old!
                          As I am not on FB, I guess you mean the internal diff unit that is within the axle casing that has failed?

Comment

I think what happened was, this diff did have a bit to much play between the crown wheel and pinion, and there is a chip in the crown wheel. I think this chip on its bid for freedom has jammed up the diff and this is the result, Screenshot 2024-03-16 094402.jpg so like me just old age.

Comment

Working...
                            X