Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YKC Julietta - New to Me Kit

Hi,

My name is Simon, I have taken on the finishing of a Juletta due to the owner being unable to complete it before falling ill and passing away. Unfortunatly i do not have a lot of history and family is unable to assist any further.

I have been and collected the kit and was very happy to see that the kit is pretty much complete with lighting kit in 1 box seatbelts in another etc etc.

The kit is partially built as a rolling chassis with 205 block Pinto and rocket box, everything looks very well put together and all parts refurbed before being assembled.

Im aiming to get it together and built faily quickly (after a complete strip to tidy up minor surface rust and be sure the bolts are nice and tight) with the IVA and registartion being my only concerns as ive not done this before.

Unfortunaltly among the build folder I have only got reciepts for donor part refurb parts ie cv boots belts etc so no history on the actual kit.

based on the boxes and some writing on the panels I would guess that it was a second owner kit.

I do have details of the donor vehicle but not a V5c so am thinking that i could apply for the log book of this using the V62 form.

My biggest questions really are what do I need Document wise ? also are there any id numbers that I may need on the frame itself?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Photos of the kit once I get to the unit to get everything catalogued and inspected.

Thanks

Simon

Seems like you have quite a project there SImon !
    Firstly let's try to see which kit number it is, should be a number something like 20-1133 and maybe some letters.
    Here are two pics, one of a Romero which was stamped onto the right side chassis leg near the front suspension, the other pic is a standard YKC Sierra based Roadster with the small plate welded onto the left chassis leg near the front....you just need to look very carefully, and perhaps have to scrape paint off to get the numbers correct.

The names of previous owners may help me to identify the kit.

Certainly it is worth a word with DVLA, tell them what you have and ask their advice for your next steps prior to IVA.

If you prefer to talk less publicly, my details are in Pitstop.

Regards Dave Cunnington, Club Archivist.

YKC Romero (on RHS !).jpg YKC Sierra Roadster 1.jpg
    Last edited by dcunn; 07-04-24, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Simon, First question do you have a YKC BUILD MANUAL ? If not join the MOC and you can down load a copy. This includes the electrics as well. You will find that the manual is (YKC Sierra based roadster) That will cover what you need. The Romero, and Julietta were more, just different body panels on the same basic chassis. However there are things you need to know from the manual( example) some front suspension parts are swapped different sides of the car from the way they were on the Sierra. Good idea to try to get a copy of the v5 donor. Then get hold of a copy of current IVA requirements and when you start to build the car back up you will be able to do any modifications that may be required . DVLA mostly stopped using (kit numbers as new vin numbers some time back ) They will tell you min digits . reqd. on a vin number.
      All the kit number will do is show when it left the factory and you may well have that with the paperwork that you have. You are fortunate in that the designer of the YKC Steve Himsworth makes himself available on the face book Marlin enthusiast group. which I am sure you will also find most helpful . I am available most times and I will help in any way I can. Danny

Comment

Many Thanks for the information above.

I have already paid my membership and got the access as knowledge is valuable and its only fair.

I have been able to get into it a little this morning and have no frame number that I can see (even with a wire wheel on a drill).

I do not have the original dates as to when it would have been purchased other than a couple of boxes stil have a delivery label to YKC but they range from 1990 to 2000

Things I have noted so far is that the windscreen hoop is welded into the frame and not bolted and amonst the boxes i have a YKC badge and also an ASC badge the tow point on the frame is also mounted on the N/S on the inside of the frame with no welded panels or stamps.

Written in sharpie on some panels is Mc Call so guessing that would have been the first owner of the kit and probably with a surname of McCallister but only a guess.

I will certanly put a post in the facebook group at some point soon. infact the car has already featured on there once to see if anyone wanted to buy it.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Okay so no frame number found. Steve is your best bet for info on this . He has just been explaining on the other site why they made the screen frames bolted on for a time. I know they went back to welded later. I also remember they produced there own body plates so the vin etc could be stamped on this and attached where iva like it. . I know of a full set of spare body panels with a member in Eastbourne and I know several members with suspension spares . should you need anything. I know Steve still has some parts and drawings etc. Looking forward to up dates on your build and welcome to the club. Best wishes Danny

Comment

Hi Danny,

I would definitely be interested in the body panels as although the family are still looking around the garage, house and various sheds as the front wings seem to have been separated at some point and i'm not that hopeful.

Today has been a bit of a manic day with work but I have been able to strip it down to the bare frame tidy up the surface rust on the frame and refit the suspension to a rolling frame again. im hoping to be first fitting the panels and have working brakes by the end of the week.

over all I am looking to have it ready for the IVA before the DVLA have even given me a VIN to get stamped.

I notice For the IVA I require axle weights but im not sure where I might be able to get this information, Do i just make it up?

thanks

Simon

Comment

No need to make any thing up, Just make contact with Steve Himsworth he was YKC and put many through the test . No better advice available. save you lots of time and perhaps wasted effort. I will of course get answers to your questions if you wish . Danny

Comment

Hi Simon, I took the liberty of putting a post up on Marlin (kit car) enthusiast group, for attention of Steve Himsworth . Just informing him that a club member is/will, be looking for some help/ advice etc on the build and registration of a part built YKC Julietta. He has answered and said that he will look out for your questions (posts) If you think that I can be of any help at any time then please contact me. My tel number is in pit stop as well should you want to talk Marlins . Danny

Comment

Working...
                X