Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

I need to buy some tyres for the Roadster I am rebuilding. I am using 15" wires for which I believe the suggested size is 165/80 r15. Any suggestions as to brand? Keep in mind I need 5, and I am not a millionaire

Hi Robin. I can highly recommend Uniroyal Rainexpert 3 tyres or Rainsport . Depending on which is made in the. Tyre size you are after. Most tyre places don't stock them but you should be able to purchase them from camskill.co.uk. Then get you tyre shop to fit them for you.

Comment

Another vote for Uniroyal Rainexpert/Rainsport, very good for light cars both in the dry and wet conditions. Not too expensive, Daemon Tweaks usually have a good deal on them.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thanks guys. Unfortunately not available with 80 profile.
        Cheers Robin

Comment

That is a "tall" tyre for a roadster - mine are 175/70/13 - 165/80/15 is a lot taller.

Comment

I am currently rebuilding the car with cycle wings. Taller wheels and tyres look better with that body style.

Comment

I have 185 15 Radar DX Classic tyres fitted to my Berlinetta. They are 80 profile and suit the car better than lower profile tyres. They may well do 165 but you may find them expensive. Mine were £ 464 for four including valves, balancing and VAT.

Comment

I have nice fat tyres on my electric roadster - I think that cycle wings look good with wide tyres - that is cycle wings that move with the suspension and the steering
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MOC Chair View Post
                  I have 185 15 Radar DX Classic tyres fitted to my Berlinetta. They are 80 profile and suit the car better than lower profile tyres. They may well do 165 but you may find them expensive. Mine were £ 464 for four including valves, balancing and VAT.
                  Thanks. How are they for road holding?
                  Cheers Robin

Comment

I have the recommended 185x70 x13 on a 51/2x13 wheel and there fine. The manual says acceptable rang is 145x13 to 205x70 x13.

I go for medium price as I don't rag the old girl.

Adrian

Comment

The roadholding seems fine but like Adrian, I don't push it hard. These tyres are a classic ribbed patern and are quieter than the previous set. They have a VR rating and intended for classic cars.

Comment

OK cheers. Just what I wanted to hear. I think its a toss up now between those and Vredestine t track 2 which also seem to have a good record.

Comment

Just an update. In the end I went for Vredestine. The main reason being that I couldn't find much in the way of reviews for the Radar tyres.
                          The main practical difference I can find is that the Radar has a classic tread pattern. They also fall into the classic tyre classification which means that are not date marked or have to declare anything else like noise, wear rate etc that you find on a modern tyre..
                          The Vredestine has a modern asymetric pattern which may not suit anyone going for the classic look. They are also date marked which may or may not be a problem in the future if I don't do many miles....
                          Last edited by martinclan56; 30-04-24, 09:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Can I be nosey and ask how much?

Adrian

Comment

They were £53 each from CamSkill.
                              Just the tyres. I am hoping to persuade my local garage to fit them to the wheels for a few beer vouchers. As the wheels are wires none of the big tyre companies were interested in doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X