No announcement yet.

Recommission - A busy couple of months!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommission - A busy couple of months!

Finally got the car back on the road after 9 years of SORN and thought I would share the experience
    Marlin Roadster Recommission 2024 (youtube.com)

Also faced the side screen "issue" and had a go at making some myself. Out of my comfort zone and a steep learning curve but quite pleased with the results.
    Marlin Roadster - Weather Equipment - YouTube

Glad to have brought her back to life, it has made me appreciate how easy it is to let the years go by, even with the best of intentions. We built the car between 1981 - 83 and it struck me how difficult it was back then to get information and to source the right bits for a job (pre-Internet). I do however regret not taking more advantage of the endless Heralds, Vitesses and Spitfires that were stacked high in the local scrap yard at the time. Simpler times

Nice work and well done for attempting the hood and side screens, which must be one of the least enjoyable of tasks.

BTW on my classic I used a Halfords Gunmetal rattle can to spray things like the heater motor, door locks and similar bolt-on items. A quick wire brush first to remove any loose stuff and a wipe off with thinners. Then a flash coat of etch primer and when that is fully dry, the finish coat. Quick and easy way to get a tidy result to complement the smart paint job on whatever the parts bolt on to.

Comment

Great job there David, and useful videos for reference

Comment

Really good job. Should be a sticky given the number of times new members ask about sidescreeens and hoods.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments and tips.

If anyone is thinking of having a go at making their own side screens I found this video extremely useful:

How to Install a Vinyl Window in Canvas (youtube.com)

I actually hand stitched mine (slightly insane!) made possible using a leather hole cutting tool which also has the advantage of producing even stitches.

Not quite professional standard but a respectable result and very much in the spirit of "build it yourself"

Comment

Working...
          X