Cabrio V8 Fan Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio V8 Fan Belt

The fan belt on my SD1 Rover 3500cc V8 engined Cabrio has started to fray. I noticed that the belt vibrates sideways around 2000 revs, which you can feel in the car. I discovered the fraying when investigating what was causing the vibration. I originally used a 975mm x 10mm wide drive V belt. My question is I believe that the original belt was 13mm wide, should I replace my 10mm wide V belt for a 12-13mm wide V belt? I do not have a "serpentine" type auxiliary drive system. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. Mike

Quick fix is to fit a new wider fan belt and see if it cures the vibration. If not then check that you haven’t got a loose pulley or a broken alternator mounting / bracket that would be causing the belt to run out of true. In fact check that first as it could be the reason that the fan belt is frayed.
    Last edited by greyV8pete; 11-09-24, 08:21 PM.

Comment

For reference, my car with same set up as yours, has 1000 x 13mm belt. No problem with fraying after 34000 miles. 10mm belt may be too low in grooves? I remember having to make my own adjustment bracket, as Marlin only supplied the mounting bracket, so there could be some variation there, Dave

Comment

Working...
      X