Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor 23d4

Hello
    I would like to change the 23d4 distributor of my Marlin roadster based Morris marina 13000 for a new quality one.​

Hi over in the uk I think the A series engine took either a 25 d4 or a 45 d4. I have never come across a 23 d4 on any British engine. The 45d4 with matching distributor cap was slightly better.

Comment

Give Distributor Doctor a call here in UK 01984 629540 or e mail [email protected] . They are highly regarded for their knowledge on Lucas distributors.

Comment

in the haynes manual it talks about the 23d4 and 25d4 distributor did the 45d4 replace it?
        on your marina 1300 roadster with you put a 45d4 and what are the settings? thanks​

Comment

Hi you can use the 45d4 however you need the correct serial number stamped on it to match the correct advance curve. They also used this for B series 1800 engines. . Don't buy a universal Chinese special equivalent, as its likely to have the wrong advance curve in it.
          From my 1976 Autodata . The Marina 1.3 engine from 1971 had for the 12V Higher compression Distributor part number Lucas part number 42372 or 41404/19 & the Low compression engine Lucas 41234 or 41415. In reality I think you could use any A series engine distributor including from a Mini or later Metro provided it was from a 1275cc A series engine. I seem to recall that the last A series Metro engines had electronic ignition and may have been a Ducellier brand of distributor.

The ignition timing can be adjusted to compensate for the slight change in the advance curve.

Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 16-09-24, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that the 45d4 was used on the 1275 A plus engine and the Ducellier type was used because BL couldn't obtain Lucas dizzies due to industrial action by Lucas. Guess that's what makes the British car industry so fascinating!

Comment

Thanks for confirming my recollection at the time of working on these cars back then with regards to the Ducellier dizzy being fitted , the reason why was never brought up in conversation. I also recall that there was 2 types of points that fitted in the 45d4. There was a set that had an additional plastic part that caused the points to move up and down slightly. The idea apparently was to help keep them clean and make them last longer, in reality I am unsure if it did though. They just cost a bit more.
              ​​​​​​
              Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; Yesterday, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X